Re: Email Harvesting

Greg Vaughn

10/21/2003 9:44:00 PM

Ryan Dlugosz said:
>My $.02 = Attempting to hide all the emails does more harm than good...
>it really only makes it harder for people to contact you who have a
>genuine reason to do so (i.e. - with a Ruby question).

I agree that email mangling causes as many problems as it solves,
however there's another possibility. I don't recall the name of the
approach, but I've seen systems where you're presented with a graphic
containing a word (and a mangled background to foil OCR) and you must
type it into a form in order to get access to a web system. The idea is
to ensure that it is a real person viewing the web archive rather than a
spammer's harvesting bot.

Would something like that be an acceptable compromise? Who's in charge
of the web archive?

-Greg Vaughn

13 Answers

Chris Thomas

Problem is that it makes Google useless for searching the archives.
Apple's mailing lists do something similar but less secure, and it
neatly eliminates them as a useful repository of knowledge (Apple's own
list archive and search UI being almost completely useless).

Chris

On Oct 21, 2003, at 2:43 PM, Greg Vaughn wrote:

> Ryan Dlugosz said:
> >My $.02 = Attempting to hide all the emails does more harm than
> good...
> >it really only makes it harder for people to contact you who have a
> >genuine reason to do so (i.e. - with a Ruby question).
>
> I agree that email mangling causes as many problems as it solves,
> however there's another possibility. I don't recall the name of the
> approach, but I've seen systems where you're presented with a graphic
> containing a word (and a mangled background to foil OCR) and you must
> type it into a form in order to get access to a web system. The idea
> is to ensure that it is a real person viewing the web archive rather
> than a spammer's harvesting bot.
>
> Would something like that be an acceptable compromise? Who's in charge
> of the web archive?
>
> -Greg Vaughn

Tim Hunter

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:43:41 +0900, Greg Vaughn wrote:

> I agree that email mangling causes as many problems as it solves, however
> there's another possibility. I don't recall the name of the approach, but
> I've seen systems where you're presented with a graphic containing a word
> (and a mangled background to foil OCR) and you must type it into a form in
> order to get access to a web system. The idea is to ensure that it is a
> real person viewing the web archive rather than a spammer's harvesting
> bot.

It's called CAPTCHA, Completely Automated Public Turing Test to Tell
Computers and Humans Apart. See http://www.c....

Hugh Sasse

Kent Dahl

Tim Hunter wrote:
> It's called CAPTCHA, Completely Automated Public Turing Test to Tell
> Computers and Humans Apart. See http://www.c....

Ok, that was depressing. I just tried the gimpy test and failed TWICE.
Guess I'm a bot then. Or need stronger glasses. :P

--
(\[ Kent Dahl ]/)_ _~_ _____[ http://www.pvv.or... ]_____/~
))\_student_/(( \__d L b__/ Master of Science in Technology )

Ruben Vandeginste

Nikolai Weibull

* Ruben Vandeginste <Ruben.Vandeginste@cs.kuleuven.ac.be> [Oct, 22 2003 11:10]:
> Another disadvantage of such a system is that it will prevent people
> from searching the archives with google. (most of the times when i
> searched something about ruby, google would give me a relevant post in
> the web archives) Then wouldn't it be better render the email-address
> of the poster as a graphic ?
can someone please, please describe the issues associated with mangling
the email address? is this too hard for people reading this list to
understand?
ruby-talk at pcppopper dot org
or
ruby-talk@nospam.pcppopper.org
and then having a note on the front page saying that you must remove the
nospam. part from email addresses?
or some similar scheme?
nikolai

--
::: name: Nikolai Weibull :: aliases: pcp / lone-star / aka :::
::: born: Chicago, IL USA :: loc atm: Gothenburg, Sweden :::

Hugh Sasse

Ruben Vandeginste

Nikolai Weibull

* Ruben Vandeginste [Oct, 22 2003 13:40]:
> PS. i've been completely 'Swen'-free for over a week now, but guess
> what, right after my post on the mailing list i recieved 4
> 'Swen's.. coincidence ? don't think so...
heh, ok, so either we have a harvester, or some #!@#!$^@ on the list is
distributing Swen to us? I recently had to change my email provider and
address, since my old account got totally destroyed by Swen when it was
launched. Now, the only address i get Swen to still is the address I'm
using now. It's sad that it has to be this way, I don't want to leave
this mailing list, especially not by outside force,
nikolai