Timmy

3/26/2002 10:09:00 PM

Hello all,

I am interested in developing applications for the Pocket PC. I was
just curious as to what I need to begin development. I program in C#, if
that makes any difference.

Also, is there any way to program applications for Palm and Visor
devices using .NET? If so, what do I need for those?

Thanks

Timmy

2 Answers

James Trefry

Timmy,

If you mean a Windows application, you might want to subscribe to
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.compactframework.
In particular search the newsgroup for a post from "Christopher Flores"
(MS). He states that SDE Beta 1 will be released end of April.

To start development, you will need SDE (Smart Device Extensions) which is
currently in the tech preview and only compatible with the PDC version of
VS.NET. There's a good article in the May Edition of Visual Studio Magazine
(but I don't think they got Christopher's memo):
http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2002_04_BG/magazine/featur...

Palm and Visor would need to be running the Compact Framework (subset of the
.NET Framework) before they would run any .NET programs. I don't know if
anybody has started work in that area or not. I have a feeling that will be
a long way off, if ever. Don't quote me though.

-James

"Timmy" <pasqually00@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in developing applications for the Pocket PC. I
was
> just curious as to what I need to begin development. I program in C#, if
> that makes any difference.
>
> Also, is there any way to program applications for Palm and Visor
> devices using .NET? If so, what do I need for those?
>
> Thanks
>
> Timmy

(Simon Calvert)