[MEETING] CORE Meeting Oct. 25th

Daniel Berger

10/21/2003 5:16:00 AM

CORE (COlorado Ruby Enthusiasts) will be having a
gathering at Paris on the Platte in Denver on October
25th (Saturday) starting at 4pm. No talks planned -
we're just gonna chill out. All are welcome to
attend.

Paris on the Platte
1553 Platte St
Denver, CO 80202
(303) 455-2451

Join us!

Questions? Contact Daniel at djberg96 at yahoo dot
com

Regards,

Dan

http://shopping...

6 Answers

Wirianto Djunaidi

Wish CORE existed when I still live in Denver :(
It will be nice to known another rubyist.

Have fun,
-WD

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 13:16, Daniel Berger wrote:
> CORE (COlorado Ruby Enthusiasts) will be having a
> gathering at Paris on the Platte in Denver on October
> 25th (Saturday) starting at 4pm. No talks planned -
> we're just gonna chill out. All are welcome to
> attend.
>
> Paris on the Platte
> 1553 Platte St
> Denver, CO 80202
> (303) 455-2451
>
> Join us!
>
> Questions? Contact Daniel at djberg96 at yahoo dot
> com
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

> http://shopping...

Scott M.

> In VB, "Nothing" is always a shortcut to the default value of a type,
> whether
> the type is a ref type or value type.

So, how about this...

Dim x As Integer = 0

Will the following produce true?

If x = Nothing then
End If

Zero is the default value of an Integer type, yet I have explicitly set its
value to zero, so how could I get a true when testing against Nothing?

David Anton

Try it...
When x = 0, "x = Nothing" evaluates to 'True'
--
David Anton
www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com

"Scott M." wrote:

> > In VB, "Nothing" is always a shortcut to the default value of a type,
> > whether
> > the type is a ref type or value type.
>
> So, how about this...
>
> Dim x As Integer = 0
>
> Will the following produce true?
>
> If x = Nothing then
> End If
>
> Zero is the default value of an Integer type, yet I have explicitly set its
> value to zero, so how could I get a true when testing against Nothing?

Scott M.

Well, I'll be!

I'm not sure I am comfortable with that behavior though.

"David Anton" <DavidAnton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Try it...
> When x = 0, "x = Nothing" evaluates to 'True'
> --
> David Anton
> www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com
> Instant C#: VB to C# converter
> Instant VB: C# to VB converter
> C++ to C# Converter: converts C++ to C#
> Instant C++: converts C# or VB to C++/CLI
>

> "Scott M." wrote:
>
>> > In VB, "Nothing" is always a shortcut to the default value of a type,
>> > whether
>> > the type is a ref type or value type.
>>
>> So, how about this...
>>
>> Dim x As Integer = 0
>>
>> Will the following produce true?
>>
>> If x = Nothing then
>> End If
>>
>> Zero is the default value of an Integer type, yet I have explicitly set
>> its
>> value to zero, so how could I get a true when testing against Nothing?

David Anton

I could write a book on VB weirdness...
The problem is the way VB has developed over the years. It's almost as if
the VB design team has simply responded ad-hoc to user requests, no matter
how half-baked ("why can't I add parentheses to property calls?" "why can't I
omit parentheses on method calls?", "why can't Nothing apply to value
types?", "why do I have to declare my variables?", etc.).
--

"Scott M." wrote:

> Well, I'll be!
>
> I'm not sure I am comfortable with that behavior though.
>
> "David Anton" <DavidAnton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Try it...
> > When x = 0, "x = Nothing" evaluates to 'True'
> > --
> > David Anton
> > www.tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com
> > Instant C#: VB to C# converter
> > Instant VB: C# to VB converter
> > C++ to C# Converter: converts C++ to C#

> >> So, how about this...
> >>
> >> Dim x As Integer = 0
> >>
> >> Will the following produce true?
> >>
> >> If x = Nothing then
> >> End If
> >>
> >> Zero is the default value of an Integer type, yet I have explicitly set
> >> its
> >> value to zero, so how could I get a true when testing against Nothing?

Göran Andersson

David Anton wrote:
> I could write a book on VB weirdness...
> The problem is the way VB has developed over the years. It's almost as if
> the VB design team has simply responded ad-hoc to user requests, no matter
> how half-baked ("why can't I add parentheses to property calls?" "why can't I
> omit parentheses on method calls?", "why can't Nothing apply to value
> types?", "why do I have to declare my variables?", etc.).

Well, the last one would rather be the other way around, as not
declaring the variables was how it was done in BASIC.

"Why can't I declare my variables, as you do in a real programming
language?" ;)

--
Göran Andersson
_____