Mutex and Ruby Documentation Online

Sean O'Dell

10/20/2003 10:07:00 PM

I'm running into that mutex problem, where I need the same process to be able
to gain the same mutex lock at several places, and it's locking itself out
after the first lock. I really need to be able to call the lock recursively.
Is there any way to get this functionality? Also, is there documentation
being maintained somewhere online so I can look this sort of thing up myself?

Sean O'Dell

4 Answers

jbritt@ruby-doc.org

Sean O'Dell wrote:

> I'm running into that mutex problem, where I need the same process to be able
> to gain the same mutex lock at several places, and it's locking itself out
> after the first lock. I really need to be able to call the lock recursively.
> Is there any way to get this functionality? Also, is there documentation
> being maintained somewhere online so I can look this sort of thing up myself?

You may want to poke around on http://www.ru...

It hosts assorted Ruby documentation, including the Pick-axe book and an
extended version of ri:

http://www.ru.../find/ri/Mutex

James Britt

> Sean O'Dell

Gennady

Take a look at monitor.rb in the standard Ruby distribution. It allows
for recursive locks and almost follows Mutex's API. It has embedded RDoc
documentation (in 1.8.0 version it contains even more information than
in 1.6.8).

Gennady.

Sean O'Dell wrote:

> I'm running into that mutex problem, where I need the same process to be able
> to gain the same mutex lock at several places, and it's locking itself out
> after the first lock. I really need to be able to call the lock recursively.
> Is there any way to get this functionality? Also, is there documentation
> being maintained somewhere online so I can look this sort of thing up myself?
>
> Sean O'Dell

Sean O'Dell

On Monday 20 October 2003 03:28 pm, jbritt@ruby-doc.org wrote:
> Sean O'Dell wrote:
> > I'm running into that mutex problem, where I need the same process to be
> > able to gain the same mutex lock at several places, and it's locking
> > itself out after the first lock. I really need to be able to call the
> > lock recursively. Is there any way to get this functionality? Also, is
> > there documentation being maintained somewhere online so I can look this
> > sort of thing up myself?
>
> You may want to poke around on http://www.ru...
>
> It hosts assorted Ruby documentation, including the Pick-axe book and an
> extended version of ri:
>
> http://www.ru.../find/ri/Mutex

Thanks a bunch! You know, I thought I couldn't possibly be so dense as to
miss that link, so I poked around at Ruby Garden and the Ruby home page and
sure enough, I didn't see it linked anywhere around there. Maybe someone
ought to put ruby-doc.org up on those pages, or make it more prominent?
Ruby-doc seems, to me, like one of (if not THE) the most fundamental sources
of information for Rubyists (advocacy and engine development aside).

Sean O'Dell

jbritt@ruby-doc.org

Sean O'Dell wrote:

> Thanks a bunch! You know, I thought I couldn't possibly be so dense as to
> miss that link, so I poked around at Ruby Garden and the Ruby home page and
> sure enough, I didn't see it linked anywhere around there. Maybe someone
> ought to put ruby-doc.org up on those pages, or make it more prominent?
> Ruby-doc seems, to me, like one of (if not THE) the most fundamental sources
> of information for Rubyists (advocacy and engine development aside).

There used to be a link to ruby-doc.org on the main page of
ruby-lang.org, but I see now it's gone.

There *is* a link on the main page of rubycentral.org (under
Community, on the left side; the link is "Ruby Documentation Project"),
as well as on rubygarden.org( under Ruby Links: "ruby-doc").

James