Ruby Parser

elbows

10/19/2003 3:07:00 PM

Are there any reasonably mature ruby parsers out there (preferably
written in ruby or with a ruby interface)?

I googled a little bit and searched RAA but I didn't come up with
much.

Nathan
5 Answers

gabriele renzi

il 19 Oct 2003 08:06:44 -0700, elbows@spamcop.net (Nathan Weston) ha
scritto::

>Are there any reasonably mature ruby parsers out there (preferably
>written in ruby or with a ruby interface)?
>
>I googled a little bit and searched RAA but I didn't come up with
>much.

if you mean 'parser for the ruby syntax' I think you have to rely on
parse.y in the interpreter distribution..
Many people is looking for this :)

meinrad recheis

Nathan Weston wrote:

> Are there any reasonably mature ruby parsers out there (preferably
> written in ruby or with a ruby interface)?

are you going to write a ruby compiler?
- cool, we are just waiting for someone to do it! ;)

> Nathan

-- henon

Melanie Fielder

"gabriele renzi" <surrender_it@remove.yahoo.it> skrev i en meddelelse
> il 19 Oct 2003 08:06:44 -0700, elbows@spamcop.net (Nathan Weston) ha
> scritto::
>
> >Are there any reasonably mature ruby parsers out there (preferably
> >written in ruby or with a ruby interface)?
> >
> >I googled a little bit and searched RAA but I didn't come up with
> >much.
>
> if you mean 'parser for the ruby syntax' I think you have to rely on
> parse.y in the interpreter distribution..

pseudo BNF for Ruby-1.4 is here
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/Manual/man-1.4...

I guess 'jruby' has a ruby parser?

--
Simon Strandgaard

elbows

Actually, the immediate project I had in mind was a tool for searching
ruby source code -- to find, for example, the definition of a class or
method, all uses of an instance variable, etc.

henon <meinrad.recheis@gmx.at> wrote in message news:<Yidlb.68242$bU3.839034@news.chello.at>...
> Nathan Weston wrote:
>
> > Are there any reasonably mature ruby parsers out there (preferably
> > written in ruby or with a ruby interface)?
> >
> are you going to write a ruby compiler?
> - cool, we are just waiting for someone to do it! ;)
> >
> > Nathan
>
> -- henon

Luke A. Guest

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:06:44 -0700, Nathan Weston wrote:

> Are there any reasonably mature ruby parsers out there (preferably
> written in ruby or with a ruby interface)?
>
> I googled a little bit and searched RAA but I didn't come up with
> much.

I don't know if it does. But I would expect the Ruby manuals to have a
grammar for Ruby. It would then be up to you to convert it into whatever
type of grammar you require.

BTW, A VM based Ruby could be interesting.

Luke.