Error reporting in Racc

Jim Freeze

10/17/2003 8:11:00 PM

Hi

I think I finally have got a handle on parsing with
Racc, and let me say, this tool rocks.

However, I am having a little difficulty generating
human readable parse/syntax errors. I am using the #on_error
method, but all it receives are an internal symbol ID,
the symbol and part of the current stack.

I am tracking line numbers, but often the parser fails
several lines after the symbol that it passes
to #on_error.

Is there some docs on how to create clear error messages
with Racc?

Thanks
--
Jim Freeze
----------

1 Answer

Patrice

> Thanks for the replies. I haven't done any work with ActiveDirectory
> or Exchange, but I understand that EF will soon be incorporated as
> interface to XML and other 'objects' (as of VS2010).

IMO this is a misunderstanding. You'll have "code only" or "model first" or
"POCO" but he overall goal is still to work with an underlying database...

Se for example :
http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/archive/2009/05/21/poco-in-the-entity-framework-part-1-the-exper...

Linq to Xml or Linq to objects will be still used for another scenario..

Basically :
- LINQ itself stays
- it uses providers so you can query against whatever you want
- Entity Framework (which is just a provider for db based data) evolves...
- Linq to Sql (that is the Sql Server specific provider for LINQ) could fade
away as EF is a superset (though for now I find Linq to Sql better).

--
Patrice