Resurrecting German mailing list?

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

10/13/2003 8:13:00 PM

Hi!

While collecting information about the ruby mailing lists for
adding subscription information in German edition of the clr FAQ -
I'll send a translation to Hal - I started wondering what did happen
to the German language faq.

So I visited http://list... to see what has happened.
Seemingly Ralf Geschke (ralf(at)kuerbis.org) did close the mailing
list altogether.

Is there really so little interest in a German discussion list on
Ruby as Ralf thinks? I don't think so and hereby suggest setting up
'ruby-de@ruby-talk.org'.

Yeas, Nays, Whys, and Why-Not's to this list. For flames etc. use PM.

For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, the Mailinglist is
delivered into the admins, and they shall kill it; and after that it
is killed, it shall rise the third month. :->

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb

7 Answers

Peter C. Verhage

Why the need for a German mailinglist? Why not ask questions / discuss
things in English? This way more people profit from the answers to the
questions / the results of the discussions.

Regards,

Peter

Armin Roehrl

Hi Josef,

that would be a good idea.

Tons of Germans speak English (kind of :-)) and are on the
English list.

Who has the power to set up that mailing-list?

Thx, -A.

--

-A.

Armin Roehrl, http://www.appro...
We manage risk

Robert Klemme

Hey Joe,

although capable of German (sort of, it's my mother tongue :-)) I prefer to
continue posting here. I guess the audience is much bigger thus yielding
better results. (And it trains my English :-))

Viel Glueck!

robert

maillist@bestworldweb.homelinux.com

> Tons of Germans speak English (kind of :-)) and are on the
> English list.
>
> Who has the power to set up that mailing-list?

If they speak english isnt it better that they are on the english list?
With a lot more people on the english list they are more likely to get
answers to their questions.

--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user

maillist@bestworldweb.homelinux.com

In case my last post seemed offensive - it was not supposed to be,
sorry.
--

.''`. Paul William
: :' : Debian admin and user
`- Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* Paul William; 2003-10-18, 17:14 UTC:
> If they speak english isnt it better that they are on the english
> list?

Being on one list does not exclude being on the other one, n'est ce
pas? I rather see it as an additional means of communication that
does not keep people outside who don't speak English - there are
several Ruby books in German so this is not that strange a scenario.

BTW: What did happen to the french list? Seems to be death...

> With a lot more people on the english list they are more likely to
> get answers to their questions.

Sure. But it is also not too unlikely that they may not understand
the answer.

> Debian - when you have better things to do than fixing a system

OT: I think that not all people agree in that they have something
better to do than fixing a system (some politicans for example don't)
- 'fixing a system' and 'fixing an operating system' are no synonyms.

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
db Wenn sie mir ohne meine Einwilligung geschickt wurde, db
dpqb wird eine E-Mail > 100 kB ungelesen entsorgt dpqb
dp::qb If you send me an e-mail > 100 kB without my dp::qb
dp::::qb consent it will be silently discarded dp::::qb

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

* Robert Klemme; Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:06:58 +0200

> I guess the audience is much bigger thus yielding better results.

Not much guesswork necessary :-) I am only wondering if the use of
English doesn't keep people outside - as did Japanese for quite some
time.

> And it trains my English :-)

Try 'A word a day' mailing list.

http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/subs...

They provide you with lots of very interesting english words (of very
different origin) like:

Rubicon (ROO-bi-kon) noun

A point of no return, one where an action taken commits a person
irrevocably.

quintessence (kwin-TES-ens) noun

1. The pure, concentrated essence.

2. Most perfect embodiment of something.

hinterland (HIN-tuhr-land) noun

1. An area behind the coastal region.

2. The remote part of a region, away from the cultural influence of a
city; back country.

haiku (HY-koo) noun

A form of Japanese verse having three unrhymed lines of five, seven,
and five syllables respectively, involving allusions and references
to nature or seasons. Also, a poem written in this form.

I always find it surprising how many words of English are not known
by most people - even native speakers.

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt