ruby-dev summary 21403-21530

Minero Aoki

Paul Brannan

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:40:41AM +0900, Minero Aoki wrote:
> Matz decided to dump/restore instance variables automatically,
> even if #_dump/#marshal_dump is defined. But it causes needless
> errors when trying to dump objects which include unserializable
> objects, e.g. IO. Then if an object has #_dump/#marshal_dump
> and meets unserializable objects, ruby will not raise exception,
> just ignore it.

This seems like a bad idea to me. My object may have references to
objects that I do not want dumped, for one reason or another.

Perhaps a dump_instance_variables() function would be better, so that
I can easily dump all instance variables if I want to, but I can still
turn that off?

Paul

matz

In message "Re: ruby-dev summary 21403-21530"
on 03/10/18, Paul Brannan <pbrannan@atdesk.com> writes:

|On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 06:40:41AM +0900, Minero Aoki wrote:
|> Matz decided to dump/restore instance variables automatically,
|> even if #_dump/#marshal_dump is defined. But it causes needless
|> errors when trying to dump objects which include unserializable
|> objects, e.g. IO. Then if an object has #_dump/#marshal_dump
|> and meets unserializable objects, ruby will not raise exception,
|> just ignore it.
|
|This seems like a bad idea to me. My object may have references to
|objects that I do not want dumped, for one reason or another.

I agree you _now_. That's the benefit from this experiment. See next
week's ruby-dev summary [ruby-talk:84138].

matz.