Re: daz (or others) permissioning problem going on?...

Kurt Euler

10/6/2003 4:23:00 PM

Oh. Right. I should have figured this one out.

Thanks!

-Kurt Euler

-----Original Message-----
From: daz [mailto:dooby@d10.karoo.co.uk]
Sent: Sunday, October 05, 2003 11:00 PM
To: ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org
Subject: Re: daz (or others) permissioning problem going on?...

"Kurt Euler" <keuler@portal.com> wrote:

> [...] When I run this code...
>
> require 'ftools'
> TARGET = 'C:/test/rbcopies' # target directory
> Dir.mkdir(TARGET) unless File.directory?(TARGET)
>
> for f in Dir.glob("./**/*")
> next unless File.file?(f)
> #
> # check for exists? / read-only etc.
> #
> File.syscopy(f, TARGET)
> end
>
> .. I get this error:
>
> test44.rb:3:in `mkdir': No such file or directory - C:/test/rbcopies (Errno::ENOENT)
> from test44.rb:3

The example I gave assumed that C:\TEMP exists already.
If 'C:\test' doesn't exist, mkdir won't be able to create sub-directory 'C:\test\rbcopies'.

I'm on Win98, so I can't help with permissions, sorry.

daz

13 Answers

Briarroot

Frank E wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 07:52:39 -0500, Giftzwerg
> <giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <Hqf6Sk87LtRkcQIL6gr=G2L+Gh=A@4ax.com>,
>> fakeaddress@hotmail.com says...

>>> Cheaper? I'm pretty sure that that would be every other country in the
>>> world. Better? It's a meaningless comparison. If you can afford it or
>>> you work for a company with good benefits, it's better than what I had
>>> working in Europe. If you work for Walmart or are unemployed, Cuba
>>> probably has better health care that what you're getting.
>> But even the Dear Leader - Zero himself! - points out that some 47
>> million Americans are without healthcare benefits ... and that's using
>> the biggest number he pulled out of his ass. Or, another way to look at
>> it is to point out that this means 84% of Americans *do* have healthcare
>> benefits. On any scale of "better," a system which delivers
>> demonstrably *better* healthcare to 84% of the people pretty much beats
>> the shit outta Cuba *or* Belgium.
>
> You're assuming that everyone in the US who does have coverage has
> better coverage than you'd have in Europe. I know a lot of people with
> shitty health plans. And even some of the people here where I work,
> which has excellent coverage, are screwed when it comes to health
> care. People that have family members with a serious medical problem
> can't change jobs. Since it's a pre-existing condition, their new job
> wouldn't cover it (for a year?). It's basically a modern day version
> of indentured servitude.
>
> Would the democrats plan be any better. I honestly don't have a clue,
> but given their track record on things like the stimulus, I'm not
> holding my breath. ... but that doesn't keep me from saying that the
> current system is seriously fucked up.

S what are your suggestions?

Here are a few of mine:

1) People should stop expecting health care insurance to cover minor
ills, office visits and routine services like dental and optical.
Insurance should be though of as an emergency fund intended to cover
only serious illness or catastrophic accidents - much like car insurance
or homeowners insurance. That change alone would save everyone enormous
sums!

2) Existing state laws prohibit people from buying health insurance from
companies operating in other states, effectively forming local
monopolies. I can shop online for car insurance, buying it from whoever
offers the best terms, located anywhere in the country, but if I wanted
to buy health insurance I would be forced to get it from a company in my
home state. That bit of anti-competitive nonsense is extremely
important because current health care insurance rates display huge
differences in different regions of the country. Let's repeal those laws.

3) Medicare. The US government forces doctors and hospitals to accept
lower than standard remuneration for services rendered to Medicare
patients and that revenue is made up by charging non-Medicare patients
*more* for the same services. Since Medicare is perceived by it's
recipients to be a 'free' service, it encourages what is known as
"over-consumption," meaning that they are highly likely to demand *more*
medical services than average and more than is actually necessary.
Let's dissolve Medicare and instead boost Social Security payments to
provide a realistic standard of living. In that way, retired
individuals would be forced to make useful decision about health care
services just like those of us who are uninsured. Why is the system for
paying retirees divorced from the system that pays for their health.
The division makes no sense!

4) Tax exemptions given to businesses which provide health insurance to
their employees cost the Federal government more than $200 billion each
year, however, private individuals who wish to buy health insurance must
do so with after-tax income. In effect, this makes private health
insurance dramatically more expensive for those who don't receive it as
a benefit from their employer. Let's end this exemption; in fact, let's
stop encouraging businesses from offering health insurance altogether.
They don't require any fiscal incentive to keep good employees anyway.
And, as I said above, health insurance provided by employers produces a
serious and unnecessary over-consumption of medical services which
artificially exaggerates the supply/demand curve. Let's end this practice.

--
"Can Washington Make You Buy Health Insurance? Yes, yes, says White
House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs. Congress has the power to make
everyone buy health insurance. 'I don't believe there's a lot of case
law that would demonstrate the veracity' of comments to the contrary.
Thank you, Mr. Justice Gibbs. We'll see about all that when -- if - the
matter of Congress' power over private commercial judgments of this
nature gets to the U.S. Supreme Court. Meanwhile the knock-down,
drag-out over health insurance 'reform' shouldn't be allowed to fuzz up
another immensely vital question; to wit, how in James Madison's name
have we reached the point that Congress can so much as contemplate
telling you, and you, and you, and all of us that we'll buy health
insurance, like it or not, Buster? Why do we have to? Because the
government says so, isn't that reason enough? For Mr. Justice Gibbs, and
the people who employ him, it is. Just about anything Congress decides
to do in the name of uplift seems to be constitutional: In other words,
in accord with written stipulations as to what the national government
may and may not do. Several problems arise concerning this fine theory:
- It's nonsense. It contravenes the whole constitutional concept of
divided powers: particular functions reserved to particular branches of
government. And other powers divided between states and the national
government. - It threatens liberty. A government that knows no limits to
its power can be counted on to step more and more heavily on citizens'
rights and privileges. All for the 'general good' naturally! -- It
divides the citizens. On the one hand, those who want particular favors
from government; on the other hand, those who deny that government has
the right to dispense such favors. The Obama administration, which
desperately wants health care to pass, brushes off such concerns as
cranky and relevant mainly to wild-eyed Limbaugh and Palin fans, when in
fact concerns about the rightful exercise of government power should
inform every legislative debate. Those it doesn't inform are likely to
end badly. Majority support of this or that initiative doesn't
legitimize the initiative." - William Murchison, senior fellow at the
Texas Public Policy Foundation

Ray O'Hara

"Shawn K." <3point1415926535@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Giftzwerg, if you weren't so intent on being shrill purely for the
> sake of contrariness, you would notice that the section you posted
> isn't really that difficult to make out and looks a lot like most any
> other legal document. A quick skim tells me that it stipulates that a
> Native American Health and Wellness Foundation is to be set up and
> that the foundation is to be independent of the US government and
> nonprofit. It then details the role of the foundation's board, who is
> to oversee setting up the foundation until the board has been
> selected, and then how the various officers are to be selected and how
> the foundation can be funded.
>
> So there might be things in there that one could object to, but this
> ad hominem business of 'RAWR DEMOCRAT BILL BAD HULK SMASH' is just
> obnoxious and infantile.
>
> shawn

it did seem rather clear didn't it.
but like his cohort Briarfruit he gets his opinions from rightwing talk
radio.

Ray O'Hara

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 11, 1:20 pm, Frank E <fakeaddr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 00:56:56 -0800 (PST), "eddyster...@hotmail.com"
>
> <eddyster...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Nov 11, 4:21 am, "Shawn K." <3point1415926...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I should also mention that I don't mean to single you out, Giftzwerg.
> >> amount of F.U.D. that I've seen flying around this whole business just
> >> drives me crazy. So many people are intent on just selling some party
> >> line (Democrats and Republicans alike) that honest, coherent
> >> conversation and debate becomes really difficult to accomplish.
>
> >I live in a Universal Healthcare country - a question I've posed here
> >before is : show me one - 1 - example of a country where there's UHC
> >and it's either better or cheaper than what you guys have today.
>
> Cheaper? I'm pretty sure that that would be every other country in the
> world. Better? It's a meaningless comparison. If you can afford it or
> you work for a company with good benefits, it's better than what I had
> working in Europe. If you work for Walmart or are unemployed, Cuba
> probably has better health care that what you're getting.

Let me rephraze it. We have UHC - then, because the U is a joke a lot
of employers have what we call "hospitalization benefits" in the total
benefit package for their employees. And then, because that also does
not cover adequatly we have a personal health insurance. The net
result is that we pay 3 times for 3 systems and the government run UHC
is the *least* performant in value for money. I really don't
understand why anyone would think a government is *better* at running
<anything> than a private corporation. As I said, give me a counter-
example or else claim the US government is the sole exception to that
rule on this planet. One or the other.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

here if you ever collect once on a policy{ that is if they don't declare
what you have as being non-covered} you get dropped and then you can't get
coverage again because you have a pre-existanting condition.
Health Care costs are the leading cause of bankruptcy in the USA.

Google "the leading cause of bankruptcy in the united states"

By Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Chief Medical Correspondent
The Number 1 cause of personal bankruptcy in the United States is unpaid
medical bills. As we found, it is not just the uninsured, but also the
underinsured. It is also people who think they have excellent health
insurance, but it is simply not enough.

Dawn and William Zeigler were living the American dream with a nice house,
cars and plenty of money. When their daughter Brooke was born too early and
required multiple surgeries, they never considered the cost because they
thought they were covered. And, they were, at least for a while. They were
amazed at how quickly the bills piled up, though. Tens of thousands of
dollars a day, and soon their policy no longer provided any money. (Watch
Video)

Brooke Zeigler died when she was 18 months old. Her father told me that he
had to tell the doctors to stop working on her. It was the hardest thing he
ever had to do in his life. The bills that arrived for nearly a million
dollars may pale in comparison to losing one's child, but the Zeiglers are
now at real risk of losing their dreams.

Ray O'Hara

"Giftzwerg" <giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <5ac2117c-4285-4c49-b59f-5f61ba8b9457
> @m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>, eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
>
>> I really don't
>> understand why anyone would think a government is *better* at running
>> <anything> than a private corporation. As I said, give me a counter-
>> example or else claim the US government is the sole exception to that
>> rule on this planet. One or the other.
>
> Just look at the three systems in the USA:
>
> (1) Medicare; trainwreck headed for insolvency
> (2) Medicaid; trainwreck bankrupting states
> (3) Private Health Insurance; insuring 200+ million American and
> turning a nice profit.
>
> And here's a beautiful metaphor for private vs. government healthcare:
>
> Right at the site of the historical British fort at Crown Point, NY,
> there's a bridge across the Lake Champlain narrows to Chimney Point in
> Vermont. Big metal truss bridge about 2,200 feet long, about 80 years
> old.
>
> A month ago, NY DOT (responsible for maintenance) closed it. Reason?
> It had fallen into such miserable disrepair that they actually think it
> might collapse of its own weight.
>
> The next bridge to the north is at Rouse's Point - about *eighty* miles.
> The next crossing to the south is at Whitehall, NY - about *sixty*
> miles. Tons of low(er)-income New Yorkers who work in Vermont just lost
> their jobs. Tons of businesses in Vermont just lost their workers and
> their customers.
>
> But there's another way to cross. Lake Champlain Transportation has a
> dozen car ferries. From a little cable ferry to big, all-weather,
> icebreaking ferries. Guess what's saving everyone's ass (including Mrs.
> G.)? Yup, the ferry company.
>
> So.
>
> Government-run bridge: wrecked, collapsing, and ruining everyone's
> life.
>
> Privately-owned ferryboats: shipshape, operating 24/7 at flank speed,
> saving everyone's ass.

Government run bridge neglegted by generations of people bitching about
taxes.
now I've taken those ferries across Lake Champlain. and its fun if you'rE
not in a hurry. but can it handle an 18 wheeler? no fucking way. and can
commercial traffic use it, a good 15 minutes across one way for about ten
cars? no
its okay for tourists who have time to waste.
and do decent roads go to these ferries? no. just small rural Vermont
highways{ roads that wouldn't be recognized as highways in civilized states}
these ferries are to real river bridges for traffic as a derringer is to a
155mm Long Tom for a bombardment.

once again your perspective is skewed by the fact you live in Vermont, the
most rural State{watch gifty and Briar again confuse ruralality with
wilderness} and don't understand what type of infrustructure modern commerce
needs.
Vermony only survives by sucking off the tit of its powerful economy
neighbors Massachusetts and NY.

On Nov 11, 4:21 am, "Shawn K." <3point1415926...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I should also mention that I don't mean to single you out, Giftzwerg.
> amount of F.U.D. that I've seen flying around this whole business just
> drives me crazy. So many people are intent on just selling some party
> line (Democrats and Republicans alike) that honest, coherent
> conversation and debate becomes really difficult to accomplish.

I live in a Universal Healthcare country - a question I've posed here
before is : show me one - 1 - example of a country where there's UHC
and it's either better or cheaper than what you guys have today.

Or conversely : show me a government run organization that works
better and cheaper than its private sector counterpart.

Oh, well, don't worry about it, once the money runs out for the U in
UHC you'll see what I mean.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

world health care costs per capita

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_spe_per_per-health-spending-...

Ray O'Hara

"Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:05:51 -0500, Giftzwerg
> <giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <bML6SkuoqY9VoCCraouAI1dmkcwI@4ax.com>,
>>fakeaddress@hotmail.com says...

>>> You're assuming that everyone in the US who does have coverage has
>>> better coverage than you'd have in Europe. I know a lot of people with
>>> shitty health plans. And even some of the people here where I work,
>>> which has excellent coverage, are screwed when it comes to health
>>> care. People that have family members with a serious medical problem
>>> can't change jobs. Since it's a pre-existing condition, their new job
>>> wouldn't cover it (for a year?). It's basically a modern day version
>>> of indentured servitude.
>>
>>All valid points - but points that can be addressed without the
>>government nationalizing healthcare, or bankrupting the country with Yet
>>Another Trillion-Dollar Spend-Fest.
>>
>>Shit, just make a law that says insurance providers aren't allowed to
>>refuse coverage for a previously-existing condition *that was previously
>>covered by another insurer*. This would be revenue-neutral to the
>>industry as a whole, and as people went back and forth between insurers,
>>it would sugar out as revenue-neutral even to individual insurers.
>>
>>The only thing insurers should be able to prevent by "previously
>>existing" rules is people not insuring themselves and pocketing the
>>money ... until they discover they're sick or get injured.
>
> Agreed.
>
>>> Would the democrats plan be any better. I honestly don't have a clue,
>>> but given their track record on things like the stimulus, I'm not
>>> holding my breath. ... but that doesn't keep me from saying that the
>>> current system is seriously fucked up.
>>
>>Then we should make a list of the things we feel are "fucked up" and
>>introduce reform specifically for each point ... rather than this
>>sweeping reorganization of the whole thing. Democrats always think in
>>terms of whole-country giganticious monstrosities instead of just enough
>>reform to address specific concerns.
>
> I didn't expect anything else out of the democrats but it seems to me
> that the Republicans missed a golden opportunity here. If they'd come
> up wiht a couple of common sense solutions to the biggest problems in
> health care, they could have come out of this debate looking like
> adults who actually had a plan. Instead we got theatrics and screaming
> about the democrats killing off senior citizens and Obama taking over
> the world.
>
> One of the reasons I've got such good coverage is that our owner put
> in a rule when he first built this plant that everyone, from the CEO
> on down, would have an identical health plan. A simple, elegant
> solution to ensure that management isn't going to skimp on health care
> for their employees. I bet if we applied that to congress, it wouldn't
> be long before we had some kind of a pay-as-you-go system with
> [...]

funny how the "conservatives" all became budget hawks once they were no
longer in power.
where was this concern when their hero the Chimpenfuhrer blew the budget and
the economy to hell and gone.
increase spending, decrease revenues, always good to balance the sacred
budget. and then use stupid accounting tricks by not putting the wars on the
budget, but instead using supplemental spending bills to pay for them.

their outrage rings rather hollow.

and the fact that the Repubnots won't work to make a good bill but instead
see the issue as one to use to destroy Obama only makes things even worse.

Giftzwerg

In article <hOD6SkasgZ3IUP3jGMrx19urbzVg@4ax.com>,
fakeaddress@hotmail.com says...

> >Then we should make a list of the things we feel are "fucked up" and
> >introduce reform specifically for each point ... rather than this
> >sweeping reorganization of the whole thing. Democrats always think in
> >terms of whole-country giganticious monstrosities instead of just enough
> >reform to address specific concerns.
>
> I didn't expect anything else out of the democrats but it seems to me
> that the Republicans missed a golden opportunity here. If they'd come
> up wiht a couple of common sense solutions to the biggest problems in
> health care, they could have come out of this debate looking like
> adults who actually had a plan. Instead we got theatrics and screaming
> about the democrats killing off senior citizens and Obama taking over
> the world.

Nonsense. The Republicans produced a rather sensible, modular plan that
would mean *exactly* what I mean; addressing specific problems rather
than just throwing the whole system out and calling on Karl Marx for a
solution:

"Their primary selling point is cost. The Democratic plan costs $1.05
trillion over the period 2010-2019, according to the CBO/JCT score. The
Republican plan costs $61 billion over the same period and would cut the
federal deficit by $68 billion.

The 1,900-page Democratic bill involves elements that are highly
interrelated and required complex negotiations to try to get the balance
right. By contrast, the GOP plan proposes initiatives that could be
passed independently. Over time, they can produce cost savings in the
entire healthcare system.

These include: banning insurance companies from canceling policies for
health reasons, tort reform to curb junk lawsuits, opening the door to
individuals to purchase insurance across state lines, allowing
dependents to remain on their parents? politics through age 25, and
creating new incentives to save for healthcare needs.

The GOP plan has no mandate for individuals to purchase insurance or for
companies to provide it. Instead, it expands high risk insurance pools,
including subsidies for people with preexisting conditions that make it
impossible to obtain health insurance."

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/11/05/beyond-ju...
gop-lawmakers-launch-their-healthcare-plan/

Wait, you say. You've never heard of this plan? That's right. Because
none of the news media outside of Fox bothered to mention it. They are
studiously silent on it. Almost as though their lips were sealed.

Almost as though they're hiding something. To protect somebody.

> One of the reasons I've got such good coverage is that our owner put
> in a rule when he first built this plant that everyone, from the CEO
> on down, would have an identical health plan. A simple, elegant
> solution to ensure that management isn't going to skimp on health care
> for their employees. I bet if we applied that to congress, it wouldn't
> be long before we had some kind of a pay-as-you-go system with
> reasonable prices and benefits.

And that's the *first* tenet of my Iron Rule for any "healthcare
reform" plan; it must apply *FIRST* to every single member of Congress
and the executive branch. No exceptions. No paying out of pocket. No
flying off to Sweden. No private treatments. Every government official
from Obambi down to the lowest H&HS janitor gets to be a beta-tester for
the plan they want to inflict on me.

Give them four fucking years of the Pelosi bill and then ask them if
they want to stay on it. If their answer is yes, then we'll talk about
putting *my* family on it.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Giftzwerg

In article <b5adnRLY5rP4n2bXnZ2dnUVZ_t2dnZ2d@posted.toastnet>,
briarroot@gmail.com says...

> Here are a few of mine:
>
> 1) People should stop expecting health care insurance to cover minor
> ills, office visits and routine services like dental and optical.
> Insurance should be though of as an emergency fund intended to cover
> only serious illness or catastrophic accidents - much like car insurance
> or homeowners insurance. That change alone would save everyone enormous
> sums!

Excellent point. I buy car insurance so I don't have to pull $30,000
out of my ass in case of a total wreck ... but I pay for tires and brake
pads (non-cheap items, these...) out of pocket.

> 2) Existing state laws prohibit people from buying health insurance from
> companies operating in other states, effectively forming local
> monopolies. I can shop online for car insurance, buying it from whoever
> offers the best terms, located anywhere in the country, but if I wanted
> to buy health insurance I would be forced to get it from a company in my
> home state. That bit of anti-competitive nonsense is extremely
> important because current health care insurance rates display huge
> differences in different regions of the country. Let's repeal those laws.

<applause>

> 3) Medicare. The US government forces doctors and hospitals to accept
> lower than standard remuneration for services rendered to Medicare
> patients and that revenue is made up by charging non-Medicare patients
> *more* for the same services. Since Medicare is perceived by it's
> recipients to be a 'free' service, it encourages what is known as
> "over-consumption," meaning that they are highly likely to demand *more*
> medical services than average and more than is actually necessary.
> Let's dissolve Medicare and instead boost Social Security payments to
> provide a realistic standard of living. In that way, retired
> individuals would be forced to make useful decision about health care
> services just like those of us who are uninsured. Why is the system for
> paying retirees divorced from the system that pays for their health.
> The division makes no sense!
>
> 4) Tax exemptions given to businesses which provide health insurance to
> their employees cost the Federal government more than $200 billion each
> year, however, private individuals who wish to buy health insurance must
> do so with after-tax income. In effect, this makes private health
> insurance dramatically more expensive for those who don't receive it as
> a benefit from their employer. Let's end this exemption; in fact, let's
> stop encouraging businesses from offering health insurance altogether.
> They don't require any fiscal incentive to keep good employees anyway.
> And, as I said above, health insurance provided by employers produces a
> serious and unnecessary over-consumption of medical services which
> artificially exaggerates the supply/demand curve. Let's end this practice.

All you left out is a giant helping of tort reform, which is probably
the first thing I'd throw in, Mrs. G. being an NP.

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <hdfbbi$c6n$1@ftupet.ftupet.com>, me@shawnritchie.com says...

> You know what I wonder? What kind of rude gasbag thinks it's cool to
> make others have to scroll past a humongous fucking .sig file every time
> you post? That's what I wonder.

Beats having to scroll past whole posts of your inane twaddle.l

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Surprise, surprise - that somebody who shouts "Allahu Akbar" as he
shoots up a room of soldiers might have Islamist motives in doing that."
- Charles Krauthammer

smr

Giftzwerg wrote:
> In article <hdfbbi$c6n$1@ftupet.ftupet.com>, me@shawnritchie.com says...
>
>> You know what I wonder? What kind of rude gasbag thinks it's cool to
>> make others have to scroll past a humongous fucking .sig file every time
>> you post? That's what I wonder.
>
> Beats having to scroll past whole posts of your inane twaddle.l

Awwww. And here I thought the last few times I posted you and I were
having a nice discussion about stuff (which we were).

Briar's .sig sucks, there's no two ways about it.

--
smr