Re: RubyCocoa problem: No such file to load -- osx/objc/cocoa

Mark Wilson

10/6/2003 2:43:00 AM

> I followed Simon's advice and unchecked libruby-static.a in the
> RubyCocoa framework project file. Then I reinstalled both RubyCocoa
> and ruby, but no go.

I think RubyCocoa works for the Ruby 1.6.7 installed with Mac OS X and
with the binary distribution of RubyCocoa, but I don't know if it works
for all Mac OS X versions.

> The RubyCocoa tests still fail with the now familiar error message:
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/osx/cocoa.rb:12:in `require': No
> such file to load -- osx/objc/cocoa (LoadError)

You can track down the required directories and files on your system.
These are 'osx/objc/cocoa.rb' and files referenced in 'cocoa.rb'. As I
recall there is a copy in the Library/Frameworks/RubyCocoa directory or
a subdirectory thereof. You can search your hard drive for 'cocoa.rb'
and find it.

Then you can either (1) reference the correct location in the Ruby
programs requiring these files or (2) copy them to the location
referenced in the Ruby programs requiring these files.

Either way, once you do this, you'll get a real error referencing a
missing Objective C superclass (or something like that, I forget all of
the details). I have never gotten beyond that point.

If you have better luck, I am sure there are several people who would
be interested in hearing about it.

Regards,

Mark