[ANN] fox-tool - interactive gui builder for fxruby

john

10/5/2003 4:17:00 PM

hi fellows,

i am proud to be able to release a preview of "fox-tool" which is an
interactive gui builder for fxruby.
i have used it for the gui of my project at work, so i know it is fit
enough for a preview. i think it is stable enough for you to play around
with it (you will find some examples in the "examples" sub directory).
while the core features are implemented there is still much missing and
there are lots of little bugs to fix.

you can download the preview at:
http://www.rubyforge.org/project...

there is a new baken home page including a users guide at:
http://fox-tool.rub...

cheers,
- henon

--------------
% cat "food in cans"
cat: can't open food in cans

9 Answers

gabriele renzi

il Sun, 05 Oct 2003 16:17:16 GMT, henon <user@example.net> ha
scritto::

>hi fellows,
>
>i am proud to be able to release a preview of "fox-tool" which is an
>interactive gui builder for fxruby.
>i have used it for the gui of my project at work, so i know it is fit
>enough for a preview. i think it is stable enough for you to play around
>with it (you will find some examples in the "examples" sub directory).
>while the core features are implemented there is still much missing and
>there are lots of little bugs to fix.
>

>you can download the preview at:
> http://www.rubyforge.org/project...

should we start to report bug or to request features? :)
BTW, it is really impressive and it seem to work quite fine on
winXP+pragprog_ruby (even if it crashes if I rightclick the main
space..)

Thank you for this :)

john

gabriele renzi wrote:
[...]
>>you can download the preview at:
>> http://www.rubyforge.org/project...
>>

> should we start to report bug or to request features? :)

please feel free to request features and report bugs!
i am also especially interested in unix test results, (does it run under
linux??) because i didn't manage to set up fxruby on my debian linux.

> BTW, it is really impressive and it seem to work quite fine on
> winXP+pragprog_ruby (even if it crashes if I rightclick the main
> space..)
>
> Thank you for this :)

thanks for feedback. as more users start using it, it will grow and
become more perfect i hope.

- henon

Dalibor Sramek

Hi.

I have problems with downloading the file. The size is OK but gzip complains
about CRC error:
gzip: fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

Can you provide a hash of the file? I got this:
MD5 (fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz) = ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7

I use FreeBSD but I suppose that standard Linux distro could also have md5
command.

Thanks,

Dalibor Sramek

P.S. I tested it with two independent ISPs.

--
Dalibor Sramek http://www.insu... | In the eyes of cats,
dalibor.sramek@insula.cz | all things belong to cats.

gabriele renzi

il Tue, 7 Oct 2003 03:37:04 +0900, Dalibor Sramek <dali@insula.cz> ha
scritto::

>Hi.
>
>I have problems with downloading the file. The size is OK but gzip complains
>about CRC error:
>gzip: fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
>
>Can you provide a hash of the file? I got this:
>MD5 (fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz) = ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7
>
>I use FreeBSD but I suppose that standard Linux distro could also have md5
>command.

I get:
$ md5sum fox-tool-0\[1\].9.0-preview.tar.gz
ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7 *fox-tool-0[1].9.0-preview.tar.gz
and it opened fine :/

Simon Strandgaard

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:37:04 +0900, Dalibor Sramek wrote:
> I have problems with downloading the file. The size is OK but gzip complains
> about CRC error:
> gzip: fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

I get same error (also FreeBSD)

server> tar xzvf fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz
[snip output]
fox-tool/test/test.pp
fox-tool/test/testall.pp

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
tar: Child returned status 1
server> md5 fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz
MD5 (fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz) = ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7
server> uname -a
FreeBSD server.neoneye.home 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun 5 02:55:42 GMT 2003 root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
server>

--
Simon Strandgaard

Simon Strandgaard

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:17:15 +0200, Simon Strandgaard wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:37:04 +0900, Dalibor Sramek wrote:
>> I have problems with downloading the file. The size is OK but gzip complains
>> about CRC error:
>> gzip: fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
>

> I get same error (also FreeBSD)
>
> server> tar xzvf fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz
> [snip output]
> fox-tool/test/test.pp
> fox-tool/test/testall.pp
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
> tar: Child returned status 1
> server> md5 fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz
> MD5 (fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz) = ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7
> server> uname -a
> FreeBSD server.neoneye.home 5.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE #0: Thu Jun 5 02:55:42 GMT 2003 root@wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
> server>

Even though above error, something got extractracted (I am worried that it
is only partialy extracted). .. Trying to launch your application:

server> ruby Editor.rb
../fox-tool.rb:13:in `require': No such file to load -- ./base/element (LoadError)
from ./fox-tool.rb:13
from Editor.rb:6:in `require'
from Editor.rb:6
server> ls base/
Data.rb Events.rb Properties.rb Workspace.rb
Element.rb FXBase.rb Serialization.rb cvs/
server>

I guess its because you use capitalized filenames ?

--
Simon Strandgaard

Lyle Johnson

Dalibor Sramek wrote:

> I have problems with downloading the file. The size is OK but gzip complains
> about CRC error:
> gzip: fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
>
> Can you provide a hash of the file? I got this:
> MD5 (fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz) = ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7

I can confirm this problem (just downloaded the tarball, around 3 p.m.
U.S. Central time). File size is 82,342 bytes and I get the same MD5 sum
reported by Dalibor. Same error message when I try to gunzip the file.
But if I just use GNU tar to gunzip & untar it in one shot, i.e.

[jlj@rorschach tmp]$ tar xzf ../fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz

I still get errors:

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
tar: Child returned status 1

but it does create a new 'fox-tool' subdirectory, and the code therein
*seems* to work properly after you take care of the various file name
problems as reported by Joel VanderWerf in a separate post.

gabriele renzi

il Mon, 06 Oct 2003 19:57:00 GMT, gabriele renzi
<surrender_it@remove.yahoo.it> ha scritto::

>I get:
>$ md5sum fox-tool-0\[1\].9.0-preview.tar.gz
>ed3694962cce4e34ec4500844e3a63d7 *fox-tool-0[1].9.0-preview.tar.gz
>and it opened fine :/

oops, sorry, I correct myself. I get the unpacked tar, and the app
quite works, but I got *even* the error :/

john

Lyle Johnson wrote:
[..]
> I can confirm this problem (just downloaded the tarball, around 3 p.m.
> U.S. Central time). File size is 82,342 bytes and I get the same MD5 sum
> reported by Dalibor. Same error message when I try to gunzip the file.
> But if I just use GNU tar to gunzip & untar it in one shot, i.e.
>
> [jlj@rorschach tmp]$ tar xzf ../fox-tool-0.9.0-preview.tar.gz
>
> I still get errors:
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
> tar: Child returned status 1
>

> but it does create a new 'fox-tool' subdirectory, and the code therein
> *seems* to work properly after you take care of the various file name
> problems as reported by Joel VanderWerf in a separate post.

all the problems are related to windows. seems that winace has messed up
something while compressing the archive. the capitalized filenames have
been corrected and carriage returns have been eliminated. right click
bug reportet by gabriele has been fixed. sorry for the inconvenience.
there will be a corrected version up soon. i also implemented annother
core feature so i will name it fox-tool-0.10.0-preview. (this time
tar'ed and gzipped on linux). soon to be available on rubyforge.org

lyle: thanks for verifying on linux.

cheers,
-- henon