Compiling kahakai-0.5 with Ruby support?

Magnus Engström

I tried to compile kahakai (a window manager with ruby support) on a Slackware 9 box, with --enable-ruby.

It stops with some error like
"swig_wrapper_ruby.cc:983: invalid conversion from `const KaScreen*' to ` KaScreen*'"

Have tried swig 1.3.16 and .17, as well as latest CVS, none working.
Anyone here that successfully compiled with ruby support? Which swig did
you use?

Have a nice day!
Regards,
Magnus Engström
2 Answers

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

Hi!

* Magnus Engström; 2003-10-04, 18:12 UTC:
> "swig_wrapper_ruby.cc:983: invalid conversion from `const KaScreen*' to ` KaScreen*'"

Try explicit type conversion

(KaScreen*) i_don_not_know_what_is_in_line_983

Please take notice of signature! / Bitte Signature beachten!

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt
--
*Warning!* For sending me messages > 100 kB you need my explicit
permission. Otherwise they will be silently discarded.

Brett Williams

"Magnus Engström" <magnus@aoeu.info> wrote in message
>I tried to compile kahakai (a window manager with ruby support) on a
Slackware 9 box, >with --enable-ruby.

>It stops with some error like
>"swig_wrapper_ruby.cc:983: invalid conversion from `const KaScreen*' to `
KaScreen*'"

>Have tried swig 1.3.16 and .17, as well as latest CVS, none working.
>Anyone here that successfully compiled with ruby support? Which swig did
>you use?

I used CVS swig to compile kahakai from kahakai CVS a few days before the
0.5 release. Kahakai is rapidly evolving (that is to say, unstable). In
order to successfully compile with Ruby support, I had to use a fully
upgraded Debian SID box (as well as CVS kahakai and CVS swig).

The best way to get help with this is to get on irc.freenode.net, channel
#kahakai. They are very helpful--they can at least tell you what bleeding
edge tools they are currently using.

Having a window manager that is scriptable in Ruby sounds like a great idea.
But the 0.5 release dropped my must-have merged windows feature, so I've
stopped following kahakai :(

Brett Williams