webrick, threads, and i/o

ahoward

NAKAMURA, Hiroshi

No. WEBrick creates worker thread for each request.
So, take care if you mount a servlet factory which returns
singleton servlet instance. It runs under MT condition.

Regards,
// NaHi

ahoward

NAKAMURA, Hiroshi

I didn't check the article, but...

> fifo = open 'fifo', 'r'
> res.body = fifo.read

You open fifo with blocking mode and read here. Blocking entire process
here is expected behavior if I understand correctly.

> fifo = open 'fifo', 'w'
> msg = "%s:%s" % [self.class, Time.now.to_s]
> fifo.puts msg

> now, if you run this and then point your browser at
>
> http://127.0.0.1...
>
> you will see the time. however, if you then try one, or more, of the
> following in any order
>
> http://127.0.0.1...
> http://127.0.0.1:...

I think the process is blocked at the second access. Does third
access works?

> you will see ALL windows hanging. does this make sense? how does one go
> about designing servlets which will then block, like POST servlets, in a way
> that would not block the entire webserver?

You can open fifo with File::RDONLY|File::NONBLOCK for read side and
File::WRONLY|File::NONBLOCK for write side. I think it should work.

In other words, if you want the server never blocks no matter what
servlets do, you should use other process forking WWW server application,
or should make your server using WEBrick as a toolkit.

Regards,
// NaHi

ahoward

Justin Biggs

Maybe it's similar to the problem I ran into a little while back. Have you
tried installing SQL Server 2005 client components on your EP box? I know it
sounds really odd, especially if the EP box isn't running SSAS or SSRS, but
it worked. Have a look at this thread:

https://community.dynamics.com/forums/p/13636/40808....

--
Best Regards,