Re: xml + ruby

Zach Dennis

10/3/2003 6:04:00 PM

James,

Are the people on this thread suffering from a case
of programmatic idealism, underuse or misuse of rexml
or is rexml lacking some of the things mentioned on
this thread?

I've been humming a pretty tune, but in all honesty
I have hardly used rexml as of yet, since this is
my first weeks arrival into Ruby. So please point
me and others in the right direction, then maybe this
thread can be redirected to point to what maybe
rexml is lacking and how to better improve on it.

-Zach

-----Original Message-----
From: James Britt [mailto:jamesUNDERBARb@seemyemail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 1:45 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: xml + ruby

Zach Dennis wrote:

> For Ruby to have a well structured and defined( and accessible )
> XML object is not that far out there.

True enough; in fact, you need only do this:

require 'rexml/document'

James

1 Answer

James Britt

Zach Dennis wrote:
> James,
>
> Are the people on this thread suffering from a case
> of programmatic idealism, underuse or misuse of rexml
> or is rexml lacking some of the things mentioned on
> this thread?

I have no idea from what anybody might be suffering, idealistic or
otherwise. I believe, though, that many of the topics discussed in this
thread have been discussed before, either on ruby-talk or the rexml list
or on the RubyGarden XmlInRuby page.

This by no means precludes raising them again, but any participants
should at least be familiar with earlier threads.

> I've been humming a pretty tune, but in all honesty
> I have hardly used rexml as of yet, since this is
> my first weeks arrival into Ruby. So please point
> me and others in the right direction, then maybe this
> thread can be redirected to point to what maybe
> rexml is lacking and how to better improve on it.

What, if anything, rexml lacks is a matter of opinion. And that opinion
will be colored by one's needs and how much time one has spent with
Ruby, because Rexml might be best described as a Ruby Way XML API.

Faulting Rexml may be misplaced as well. There well may be a need for
other XML APIS in Ruby, but adding them to either Rexml or the core
language is a whole other matter.

My impression is that a majority of folks on this list will use XML
under certain circumstances, but view it as a means to an end. They do
not care much for the W3C XML DOM, nor view XPath as an intrinsically
appealing data-access API. There is a preference to be able to
manipulate XML source data using a Ruby interface. For most people
Rexml fits the bill quite well.

Whether this is true for you or anyone else requires you spend a bit of
time hacking around with it. If you approach it with a W3C DOM mindset
you may be disappointed (though, then again, you be pleasantly
surprised). If you approach it as just another Ruby API you may find it
quite natural.

If you then decide that Rexml is still lacking in some way, join the
Rexml mailing list and offer some constructive criticism. It's been kind
of slow there, so new blood is quite welcome. On the other hand, if,
after working with Rexml and Ruby for a bit, you still think the core
language lacks something, bring it up here.

Incidently, Rexml is not the only XML lib for Ruby. While I've sadly let
the site decay, www.rubyxml.com still has a decent list of Ruby XML
information. (And all this might be enough to motivate me to extend the
day to 26 hours and fix up the site.)

James