Current List of GUI Toolkits for Ruby???

gsemones

10/3/2003 3:30:00 PM

Not meaning to open this can of worms all over again, but my searches
for a current GUI toolkit list is not being very successful. OTOH,
it's always a lively discussion. It's just been awhile since I've
needed to examine this particular stuff....

I'm hoping for:
Cross-platform (win/linux/freebsd/macOSX)
Thread-friendly

Not as concerned with:
Native platform look and feel

Thanks,

Guerry
2 Answers

Aria Stewart

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 09:31, Guerry Semones wrote:
> Not meaning to open this can of worms all over again, but my searches
> for a current GUI toolkit list is not being very successful. OTOH,
> it's always a lively discussion. It's just been awhile since I've
> needed to examine this particular stuff....

Sounds like this one's a topic for the RubyGarden wiki.

I'm happily using wxWindows and GNOME2 with Ruby. Portability to Windows
and MacOS both doesn't leave you many options, though.

FXRuby is on my to-play-with list, but I've not had time yet.

Masao Mutoh and other's work on GTK2/GNOME2 is really impressive. The
object models are actually somewhat merged, now, in the CVS. You can
implement GTK objects in Ruby.

As far as I know, the GTK bindings works under win32. With the Luna
theme installed, it looks XP-like, too, so it merges well with the
system.

Speed is great, with the exception of a heavily loaded GtkTreeView, but
that's GTK and my implementation's fault, I think.

Enjoy.

Ari

Lyle Johnson

Guerry Semones wrote:

> Not meaning to open this can of worms all over again, but my searches
> for a current GUI toolkit list is not being very successful. OTOH,
> it's always a lively discussion. It's just been awhile since I've
> needed to examine this particular stuff....

Presumably, the "current" list is some subset of the list found on the RAA:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/cat.rhtml?category_major=Library;category...

If by "current", you mean actively developed and discussed, the ones
that seem to come up most often are Ruby/Tk (built-in to Ruby), Ruby/GTK
and FXRuby. There is also the still-fairly-new wxRuby, which for some
reason isn't yet listed in the RAA.

They are all cross-platform and, AFAIK, thread-friendly. Ruby/Tk and
wxRuby would have native look-and-feel (right?) while Ruby/GTK and
FXRuby do not.

Hope this helps,

Lyle