Re: Account Verification

Mark Wilson

10/3/2003 2:57:00 AM

Who are you? Are you really eBay?

Regards,

Mark Wilson

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 08:23 PM, eBay SafeHarbor wrote:

<image.tiff>

> Dear eBay user,
>
> During our regular update and verification of the accounts, we
> couldn't verify your account
> information. Eighter your information has changed or it is incomplete.
>
> As a result, your access to bid or buy on eBay has been restricted. To
> continue using your
> eBay account fully, please update and verify your information by
> clicking below:
>
> https://scgi... saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V erifyInform ation
>
> If your update will not be completed in 5 days, your account will be
> removed.
>
> We apologize for disturbing you with this message, but we appreciate
> your efforts in
> helping keep eBay a safe trading place.
> Thank you for understanding.
>
> Regards,
> eBay SafeHarbor
> Verification Accounts Team
>

> ***Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail. You Will Not Receive A
> Response***

2 Answers

Lyle Johnson

Mark Wilson wrote:

> Who are you? Are you really eBay?

If they are, maybe they should check to see if anyone is auctioning off
a dictionary since they misspelled "either" at the beginning of the
second sentence ;)

Or as Mark probably suspects, it's just the scam described in this story
at snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scam...

Cheers,

Lyle

Ryan Pavlik

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:49:10 +0900
Lyle Johnson <lyle@knology.net> wrote:

> Mark Wilson wrote:
>
> > Who are you? Are you really eBay?
>
> If they are, maybe they should check to see if anyone is auctioning off
> a dictionary since they misspelled "either" at the beginning of the
> second sentence ;)
<snip>

It's pretty obviously a scam. Always check the _actual_ URL (split
for readability):

onmouseover="javascript:window.status='https://scgi...saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?VerifyInformation&#... true">
https://scgi... saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V erifyInform ation
</a>

It's a somewhat evil trick. Actually, three going on here. Note the
scgi.ebay.com:blah@69.49.246.84... a common trick to "fake" a URL,
using username:password@host syntax. Combine that with printing the
fake URL as the text of the link for a sense of safety, as well as
some Javascript to even fake the mouseover, and you might even convice
a lot of people.

Like you said, the obvious misspellings don't do a lot for credibility
though, and spamassassin caught some other things in the headers.

--
Ryan Pavlik <rpav@mephle.com>

"Well what was it, Mr. Nightmare Pants?" - 8BT