Data Connections and Server Explorer

Wade Wright

3/21/2002 7:44:00 PM

When I try to add ANY data connection I get the Data Link Properties dialog
in which I setup a connection, test it and click OK. Once I do this I get an
error that states:

"Unable to add data connection. The connection failed. Check your user name
and password."

It does not matter what I attempt to connect to. (On a related note (I
think) I cannot see other SQL Servers when I try to "browse" them from the
Data Link window. I get an "Error enumerating servers. 'Unspecified Error'"
even though I can browse them from Query Analyzer.) I have tried connecting
to SQL Server, Access MDB's, and our AS/400 DB2 and I always get the same
error. Here is everything that I have tried to correct this:

1) I have searched newsgroups, MSDN and Support.Microsoft.com to no avail.
2) Reinstalled MDAC 2.7
3) Reinstalled SQL Server 2000
4) Reinstalled the .NET ODBC manager
5) Reinstalled Visual Studio (and boy was that fun)
6) Installed the .NET SDK Service Pack 1
7) Run Regclean

Does anyone else have any ideas for me to try?

12 Answers

(Steven Bras [MS])

Wade Wright

I am using the Enterprise Architect Version of Visual Studio.NET that comes
with my Universal Subscription.
Dev Enviornment: 7.0.9466
Framework: 1.0.3705

The exact words of the error are:
Unable to add data connection.
The connection failed. Check your username and password and try again.

(Steven Bras [MS])

Wade Wright

The version that is closest: 2.7 RTM( 2.70.7713.4)

There was one error:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0EAC4842-8763-11CF-A743-00AA0
0A3F00D},Registry,Key not found =
'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{0EAC4842-8763-11CF-A743-00AA
00A3F00D}

Connor

Hi Steven,

I hope you can help me out. Your reply speak to me
directly, unfortunately. I am using vb.net standard but
had no idea it could only connect to msde and access! I
am terrible disappointed that I can't connect to MySQL and
SQL Server(among other DBs). Is there some sort of
upgrade path for me? I can't even find vb.net professional
edition. DOes it exist? And where can I find it?

Thanks for your time...

CTB

VB.Net Standard, this
>version does not permit connections to any data source
other than Access or
>the Microsoft Database Engine (MSDE). The error you are
reporting is the
>same as you would receive if you were attempting to
connect to those data
>sources with the Standard Edition.
>
>I note that you are, however, having problems with
connecting to Access
>databases; please advise, and also repost the exact text
of the error (I
>get very few hits when searching our databases for the
one you posted) and
>I'll be happy to continue to assist.
>
>Steven Bras, MCSD
>Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

confers no rights.

>Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft
Strategic Technology
>Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool
Kit, please visit
>http://www.microsoft.co....

Wade Wright

Steven,

Can you tell me where Dev Studio stores the dataconnections? Is it in the
registry? Or perhaps a config file?

Wade

"Steven Bras [MS]" <stevenbr@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've searched extensively and this error is extremely rare. Since the
> Server Explorer uses OLEDB to connect to its data sources, I would
> recommend checking the integrity of your Data Access Components
> installation, using our Component Checker tool.
>
> You can download this utility from
> http://www.microsoft.com/data/do.... Look for Component Checker at
> the top of the list.
>
> Once you've downloaded this, do the following on the server in question:
> 1. Run the cc.exe, a self-extracting executable, that will expand the
files
> to a directory on your drive;
> 2. Run the ComCheck executable from this folder;
> 3. A dialog will appear, prompting you for the type of analysis you wish
> perform; select the first option, "Perform analysis of your machine and
> automatically determine...";
> 4. The utility will perform its analysis, and display a message box
> displaying the version of MDAC it thinks is closest to what you have
> installed. Make note of this message, especially if it reports that more
> than one version matches your machine;
> 5. After that messagebox is dismissed, you'll see a two-pane window,
> listing any major errors it found in the right pane.
>
> If there are errors, post them here and I'll continue to assist.
>
> Steven Bras, MCSD
> Microsoft Developer Support/Visual Basic WebData

rights.

> Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology
> Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
> http://www.microsoft.co....

(Steven Bras [MS])

Wade Wright

> Steven,
>
> Can you tell me where Dev Studio stores the dataconnections? Is it in the
> registry? Or perhaps a config file?
>

> Wade

(Steven Bras [MS])

(Steven Bras [MS])