Re: [RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb

Mark Wilson

10/1/2003 7:57:00 PM

[snip]

> The documentation dir should probably only handle libraries.

In this case of Ruby, I disagree. Given the transparency of Ruby
source, there's not that much difference between libraries and many
applications. Many applications have discrete models that are most
analogous to libraries also.

> With applications, it shouldn't matter what language they are written
> in, so
> the documentation should go in the same place as any other program
> documentation. You wouldn't have /usr/share/doc/c/gawk/README or
> something like that.

This begs the question of where application documentation, regardless
of language, should go. I would like Unix/Linux/BSD etc. to have a more
accessible standard for this, for command line apps, beyond man and
info pages. GUI apps can, of course, have their own help menu item. The
command line help is usually, properly in my opinion, abbreviated. It
would be nice, however, to at least know where to find Ruby application
documentation, even if one has to search for documentation (other than
man pages) for other command line applications.

> [snip]

Regards,

Mark