Re: [RCR] Include CONFIG::Config['rubydocdir'] in rbconfig.rb

Mark Wilson

10/1/2003 7:26:00 PM

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 03:02 PM, Ara.T.Howard wrote:

> [snip]
>
> first of all, this idea is fantastic. however, i think it would be
> made
> better if a standard doccumentation format was also agreed upon. to
> me, this
> choice is very simple: html is the only doc format that will easily
> work on
> mac, windows, and *nix. rdoc is the best of the html doc generators.
> ergo,
> rdoc wins my vote. personally, i prefer man pages but...

I think every package should have rdoc documentation (which can be
generated upon installation or included in the distribution). I also
think every command line application (at a minimum) should have man
pages and useful help and usage output. There are tools to generate man
pages from other document formats (although better and easier to use
tools would be good). The above applies to packages in at least the
beta stage.

> [snip]

I agree completely with all the other stuff you said.

Regards,

Mark