Newbie: How to use ODBC.NET with Framework Runtime

Roger Smith

3/21/2002 1:54:00 AM

I have a win2000pro machine with FrameworkSDK on which I've created a simple
Odbc.net/ASP.net app. I would like to move the app to a win2000server, but
am stumped by the Odbc.net install. The server has only the .net runtime,
not the full SDK. I downloaded and ran the Odbc.net install, but can't
determine if it installed correctly. It supposedly uses gacutil.exe to
register the assembly with the global cache, but the .net runtime does not
include gacutil.exe.

The app runs on my win2000pro/SDK system but fails on the
win2000server/runtime combo. I get the exact same message reported by Zhang
Weimin circa 02/18/02. Can find no info on "system error 5".

Without gacutil.exe I can't even tell if the odbc.net assembly exists on the
server.

ASP/ADO programs do run on the server so I know the odbc driver is working.

Any ideas?
Do I need to install the .net SDK on the server.

1 Answer

Roger Smith

Nevermind.

Further digging has proven the error has to do with permissions on the
ASPNET or IUSR account.

I also found the .net configuration programs in adminisrative tools... much
easier than gacutil.