v-lwang

Based on the description, it's difficult to find where the problem is. To
work out this issue, I need to know more information.

Do you call the web service from ASPX code behind?

Does this problem also occur:
1. If you get the DataSet from Database directly instead of calling
the web service in the code behind?
2. If you call a web service returning a null DataSet (without
querying form the Database)?
3. If you remove the DataSet from the web page?

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com>
| Subject: iexplore 100% cpu usage
| Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:39:27 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| I have a webservice that has behaved well in many environments and now in
| one particular environment it is pegging the cpu at 100% (the actual
process
| is iexplore pegging the cpu). The web page calls another webservice
talking
| to a database and loads up a grid and that's it. The backend webservice
by
| itself doesn't peg the cpu. The web page pegging the cpu seems to behave
| normally except for taking all the cpu. The basic setpu is WIN2000 server
| with sp3 and explorer 6 with sp1. I've seen numerous people have this
kind
| of a problem but have seen no solutions-- has anyone seen this and know
of a
| solution or at least what to look at as a possible source of this problem?
|
| Thanks, NWOP.

5 Answers

LT

Thanks for the reply.

We are using code behind.

1. Haven't tried this-- we do believe we've eliminated the backend query
entirely though.
2. This is something we can easily try to further rule out the query.
3. Haven't tried this yet either and it may be difficult to do this
time-wise. We have a person on site that doesn't have time to mess around
with testing of this nature and we can't duplicate the problem in-house (or
anywhere else for that matter).

We'll try a null dataset and see if that changes anything.

Thanks, NWOP.

"Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <v-lwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Based on the description, it's difficult to find where the problem is. To
> work out this issue, I need to know more information.
>
> Do you call the web service from ASPX code behind?
>
> Does this problem also occur:
> 1. If you get the DataSet from Database directly instead of calling
> the web service in the code behind?
> 2. If you call a web service returning a null DataSet (without
> querying form the Database)?
> 3. If you remove the DataSet from the web page?
>
> Best regards,
> Lewis
rights.

> --------------------
> | From: "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com>
> | Subject: iexplore 100% cpu usage
> | Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:39:27 -0600
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
> |
> | I have a webservice that has behaved well in many environments and now
in
> | one particular environment it is pegging the cpu at 100% (the actual
> process
> | is iexplore pegging the cpu). The web page calls another webservice
> talking
> | to a database and loads up a grid and that's it. The backend webservice
> by
> | itself doesn't peg the cpu. The web page pegging the cpu seems to
behave
> | normally except for taking all the cpu. The basic setpu is WIN2000
server
> | with sp3 and explorer 6 with sp1. I've seen numerous people have this
> kind
> | of a problem but have seen no solutions-- has anyone seen this and know
> of a
> | solution or at least what to look at as a possible source of this
problem?

> | Thanks, NWOP.

LT

After returning a null dataset the cpu is still pegged at 100% as we
expected.
NWOP

"New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> We are using code behind.
>
> 1. Haven't tried this-- we do believe we've eliminated the backend query
> entirely though.
> 2. This is something we can easily try to further rule out the query.
> 3. Haven't tried this yet either and it may be difficult to do this
> time-wise. We have a person on site that doesn't have time to mess around
> with testing of this nature and we can't duplicate the problem in-house
(or
> anywhere else for that matter).
>
> We'll try a null dataset and see if that changes anything.
>
> Thanks, NWOP.
>
> "Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <v-lwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Based on the description, it's difficult to find where the problem is.
> > work out this issue, I need to know more information.
> >
> > Do you call the web service from ASPX code behind?
> >
> > Does this problem also occur:
> > 1. If you get the DataSet from Database directly instead of
calling
> > the web service in the code behind?
> > 2. If you call a web service returning a null DataSet (without
> > querying form the Database)?
> > 3. If you remove the DataSet from the web page?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Lewis
> rights.
> >
> > --------------------
> > | From: "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com>
> > | Subject: iexplore 100% cpu usage
> > | Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:39:27 -0600
> > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
> > |
> > | I have a webservice that has behaved well in many environments and now
> in
> > | one particular environment it is pegging the cpu at 100% (the actual
> > process
> > | is iexplore pegging the cpu). The web page calls another webservice
> > talking
> > | to a database and loads up a grid and that's it. The backend
webservice
> > by
> > | itself doesn't peg the cpu. The web page pegging the cpu seems to
> behave
> > | normally except for taking all the cpu. The basic setpu is WIN2000
> server
> > | with sp3 and explorer 6 with sp1. I've seen numerous people have this
> > kind
> > | of a problem but have seen no solutions-- has anyone seen this and
know
> > of a
> > | solution or at least what to look at as a possible source of this
> problem?
> > |
> > | Thanks, NWOP.

Scott Meddows

Did you step through the program on the server and see where the program is
looping at?

> After returning a null dataset the cpu is still pegged at 100% as we
> expected.
> NWOP
>
> "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > We are using code behind.
> >
> > 1. Haven't tried this-- we do believe we've eliminated the backend
query
> > entirely though.
> > 2. This is something we can easily try to further rule out the query.
> > 3. Haven't tried this yet either and it may be difficult to do this
> > time-wise. We have a person on site that doesn't have time to mess
around
> > with testing of this nature and we can't duplicate the problem in-house
> (or
> > anywhere else for that matter).
> >
> > We'll try a null dataset and see if that changes anything.
> >
> > Thanks, NWOP.
> >
> > "Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <v-lwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Based on the description, it's difficult to find where the problem is.
> > > work out this issue, I need to know more information.
> > >
> > > Do you call the web service from ASPX code behind?
> > >
> > > Does this problem also occur:
> > > 1. If you get the DataSet from Database directly instead of
> calling
> > > the web service in the code behind?
> > > 2. If you call a web service returning a null DataSet (without
> > > querying form the Database)?
> > > 3. If you remove the DataSet from the web page?
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Lewis
> > rights.
> > >
> > > --------------------

> > in
> > > process
> > > talking
> webservice
> > > by
> > behave
> > server
> > > kind
> know
> > > of a
> > problem?

LT

I haven't been able to do this since it is a remote production environment.
We did learn one thing today that was certainly interesting. If you invoke
the application remotely (it is, of course a web app) the server no longer
has a cpu pegged to 100%. The remote computer that invokes the application
doesn't have a pegged cpu either... Do not that this application worked
fine, apparently prior to some OS hotfixes.

NWOP

"Scott Meddows" <scott_meddows_no_spm@tsged.com> wrote in message
> Did you step through the program on the server and see where the program
is
> looping at?
>
> "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com> wrote in message
> > After returning a null dataset the cpu is still pegged at 100% as we
> > expected.
> > NWOP
> >
> > "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the reply.
> > >
> > > We are using code behind.
> > >
> > > 1. Haven't tried this-- we do believe we've eliminated the backend
> query
> > > entirely though.
> > > 2. This is something we can easily try to further rule out the query.
> > > 3. Haven't tried this yet either and it may be difficult to do this
> > > time-wise. We have a person on site that doesn't have time to mess
> around
> > > with testing of this nature and we can't duplicate the problem
in-house
> > (or
> > > anywhere else for that matter).
> > >
> > > We'll try a null dataset and see if that changes anything.
> > >
> > > Thanks, NWOP.
> > >
> > > "Lewis Wang [MSFT]" <v-lwang@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > calling

> > > rights.

> now
> > > in
> > webservice
> > > behave
WIN2000
> > > server
> this
> > know
> > > problem?

v-lwang

Hi Nwop,

Yes, I thank so. If the web service is the issue, then aspnet_wp.exe may
peg the CPU. Maybe, there is something wrong when IE was rendering the page
on the local machine.

If you need more information, just post it here, thanks.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com>
| Subject: Re: iexplore 100% cpu usage
| Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:20:00 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
|
| I haven't been able to do this since it is a remote production
environment.
| We did learn one thing today that was certainly interesting. If you
invoke
| the application remotely (it is, of course a web app) the server no longer
| has a cpu pegged to 100%. The remote computer that invokes the
application
| doesn't have a pegged cpu either... Do not that this application worked
| fine, apparently prior to some OS hotfixes.
|
| NWOP
|
| "Scott Meddows" <scott_meddows_no_spm@tsged.com> wrote in message
| > Did you step through the program on the server and see where the program
| is
| > looping at?
| >
| > "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com> wrote in message
| > > After returning a null dataset the cpu is still pegged at 100% as we
| > > expected.
| > > NWOP
| > >
| > > "New World Order Pigs" <lthompson@md-it.com> wrote in message

| > query