mlavinder

9/3/2003 3:28:00 PM

I am using an asynchronous web service to create a report from a text
file. Here is a brief overview of how this works:

- Client uploads a text document to the web server.

- Web service is called to process the file (path is one of the
parameters).

- Web service begins building a report based on the data that is in
the text file. These reports can be quite large and can take several
minutes to run.

- When it is through, the web service sends an email to let the person
who uploaded the file know that their report is ready and can be
downloaded.

The problem I am having is that the web service stops running after
about 3 or 4 minutes, whether the file is ready or not. So I could
debug problems, I have the web service create a log file and I have
put Try...Catch statements around every block of code in my web
service. Any errors are put in the log file. My log file shows 0
errors. It looks like the web service just stops running after 3 or 4
minutes. Maybe the process is timing out, but I haven't found ANY
information on the web about setting a timeout for ASYNCRONOUS web
services.

Has anyone had a problem with something like this before? If so, how
did you resolve it? Is this process is too involved for a web
service? Maybe I am trying to use a web service to do something it
was never intended to do.