Matt Lavinder

9/3/2003 2:33:00 PM

I am using an asynchronous web service to create a report from a text
file. Here is a brief overview of how this works:

- Client uploads a text document to the web server.

- Web service is called to process the file (path is one of the
parameters).

- Web service begins building a report based on the data that is in the
text file. These reports can be quite large and can take several
minutes to run.

- When it is through, the web service sends an email to let the person
who uploaded the file know that their report is ready and can be
downloaded.

The problem I am having is that the web service stops running after
about 3 or 4 minutes, whether the file is ready or not. So I could
debug problems, I have the web service create a log file and I have put
Try...Catch statements around every block of code in my web service.
Any errors are put in the log file. My log file shows 0 errors. It
looks like the web service just stops running after 3 or 4 minutes.
Maybe the process is timing out, but I haven?t found ANY information on
the web about setting a timeout for ASYNCRONOUS web services.

Has anyone had a problem with something like this before? If so, how
did you resolve it? Is this process is too involved for a web service?
Maybe I am trying to use a web service to do something it was never
intended to do.

*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

mlavinder

UPDATE: I found this error in the Application Log on the server where
the site is running:

aspnet_wp.exe (PID: 2372) was recycled because it was suspected to be
in a deadlocked state. It did not send any responses for pending
requests in the last 180 seconds.

It looks like Windows is killing the web service because it thinks it
isn't responding. Anyone know how to keep this from happening?

> I am using an asynchronous web service to create a report from a text
> file. Here is a brief overview of how this works:
>
> - Client uploads a text document to the web server.
>
> - Web service is called to process the file (path is one of the
> parameters).
>
> - Web service begins building a report based on the data that is in the
> text file. These reports can be quite large and can take several
> minutes to run.
>
> - When it is through, the web service sends an email to let the person
> who uploaded the file know that their report is ready and can be
> downloaded.
>
> The problem I am having is that the web service stops running after
> about 3 or 4 minutes, whether the file is ready or not. So I could
> debug problems, I have the web service create a log file and I have put
> Try...Catch statements around every block of code in my web service.
> Any errors are put in the log file. My log file shows 0 errors. It
> looks like the web service just stops running after 3 or 4 minutes.
> Maybe the process is timing out, but I haven?t found ANY information on
> the web about setting a timeout for ASYNCRONOUS web services.
>
> Has anyone had a problem with something like this before? If so, how
> did you resolve it? Is this process is too involved for a web service?
> Maybe I am trying to use a web service to do something it was never
> intended to do.
>

> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.develop... ***

aj

Hi Matt,

Try to change the value of the
attribute "responseDeadlockInterval" under ProcessModel
in machine.config. The default value is 3 minutes.

ProcessModel
responseDeadlockInterval

Hopefully this should fix the prb for you.

Cheers,
aj

http://www.develop... ***