Anonymous

11/12/2007 7:28:00 AM

I have a distributed N-tier C++ application that I want to make
available online. Because of the architecture, I should be *in theory*
be able to replace the presentation tier from the current one to web pages.

However, I am not sure what the best way to do this is - since the GUI
is quite sophisticated (interactive graphs, tables etc). Could anyone
with real world experience of doing this (or something similar), offer
some guidlines/advice ?

PS: Ideally, the new presentation layer will be acessible by mobile
devices too
2 Answers

PJ

Well, first of all, posting this kind of message (specially to this
many groups) is a breach of Net protocol.

Regardless of this, what you want is always a compromise.

You can't have all the advantages of a Desktop Application in a Web
Browser.

True you can develop all your net application in Flash (although I
think that SilverLight might be a good thing too, but I didn't get a
good look at it), which will have all the bells and whistles you want,
but it will have a huge impact on your clients bandwidth.

Anyway, you still specify the app to be accessible through mobile
devices, well, in those tiny box you still need more compromises.

Everything depends on what EXACTLY you want.

And finally, but not least, when asking a question like this, do not
ask it anonymously

Regards,

Paulo Santos
http://pjondevelopment....

On Nov 12, 5:27 am, Anonymous <no.re...@here.com> wrote:
> I have a distributed N-tier C++ application that I want to make
> available online. Because of the architecture, I should be *in theory*
> be able to replace the presentation tier from the current one to web pages.
>
> However, I am not sure what the best way to do this is - since the GUI
> is quite sophisticated (interactive graphs, tables etc). Could anyone
> with real world experience of doing this (or something similar), offer
> some guidlines/advice ?
>
> PS: Ideally, the new presentation layer will be acessible by mobile
> devices too

Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]

Well, assuming you are going to do this in .NET, you are going to have
to delve into ASP.NET at the least. Additionally, you will more than likely
want to look into exposing your C++ components to managed code, creating
managed wrappers using C++/CLI.

--
- Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
- mvp@spam.guard.caspershouse.com