microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing

Modify jpg but leave quality the same

shelby_marsden

1/8/2005 6:32:00 PM

Is it possible to write a program that will modify a jpg, say adding
some lines or text to it, and then save it leaving quality and
compression the same? Ideally in such a way that you could run the
program multiple times with no degradation in quality? I know that
there are some transforms (like rotate) that can be performed in a
repeatable way as long as the bitmap dimensions are multiples of 16,
but is it possible to do arbitrary transformations in a
non-destructive way? If not, what is the best way to minimize
degradation?

TIA
1 Answer

Bob Powell

The trouble with jpeg is that the compression is lossy so unless you save at
100% quality you'll always get degradation and eventual loss of quality.

--
Bob Powell [MVP]
Visual C#, System.Drawing

Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks
http://www.bobpowell.net/tips...

Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ
http://www.bobpowell.net/f...

All new articles provide code in C# and VB.NET.
Subscribe to the RSS feeds provided and never miss a new article.