microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing

VB.Net: How do I create an "overlay" control (i.e. no drawing, but catch all mouse events)?

Joergen Bech

12/17/2004 3:23:00 PM

I need to create a "Form Designer" module that works something like
the form designer in VS.Net 2003. (Never mind that there are 3rd-party
controls and stuff already built-in and available - I need to roll my
own so I can more easily customize it to my needs).

If I select some controls and use Spy++ to see what VS.Net is doing,
it appears there is a window with a hidden "SelectionUIOverlay"
caption. Judging by what Spy++ highlights, I suspect this is a window
with a complex clipping region. (VS.Net 2005 appears to have taken
an entirely different approach, but I am looking for a VS.Net
2003-like
solution).

My idea is to create a panel with a complex clipping region and
putting this on top of my Form Designer. This works great, but the
problem with those clipping regions is that mouse events go through
the "holes" to the underlying controls.

Is there any way I can have transparent areas using clipping regions
but have the panel catch all mouse events as if there were no such
regions?

TIA,

Joergen Bech