Josiah

4/9/2007 11:42:00 PM

I'm caching a dataset. Total size is about 200MB. I'm loading the dataset in
the application_onload event.

It's not caching it into the physcial ram, it's storing in the pagefile. How
can i change this. I want better performance and if it has to read from vram
each time then this is not good performance.

Please help
Josiah
2 Answers

Josiah

I have a total of 2GB of RAM. Only 1/4 is being used. When i reload the
website and call the first page i can watch the pagefile grow to 200 MB, the
same size of the Dataset. Can this be change? Why is .NET storing the cached
data in the virtual memory. When i access a page that uses the dataset you
can see the paging.

Thanks in advanced
Josiah

"Josiah" wrote:

> I'm caching a dataset. Total size is about 200MB. I'm loading the dataset in
> the application_onload event.
>
> It's not caching it into the physcial ram, it's storing in the pagefile. How
> can i change this. I want better performance and if it has to read from vram
> each time then this is not good performance.
>
> Please help
> Josiah

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You have to adjust that behavior from windows for the page size etc. You'll
also need to tweak the worker process settings via the config file so that
more real memory is used. I think the default is 60% which puts you a little
over 600meg given a 2gig max (there's system memory etc that depletes the
limit). So, i suspect that it's being paged to disk because it doesn't have
enough free ram left.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney