microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing

Problem converting GIF images

Erik Read

12/10/2004 7:05:00 PM

We have a vendor that is providing us with GIF images that we need to convert
to another format. The problem is that when I load the image from this vendor
into a bitmap object I get an "Invalid Parameter" exception. Any other GIF
seems to work fine.
These images appear to be GIF87 images if that helps. The Windows XP Image
viewer won't view them and neither will Paint. Fireworks will view the image
but when I do an export it exports to GIF89 which I have no problems with. Is
there something with this particular GIF format?
2 Answers

Bob Powell

It sounds as though they have a problem with their format. Tell them to fix
it.

--
Bob Powell [MVP]
Visual C#, System.Drawing

Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks
http://www.bobpowell.net/tips...

Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ
http://www.bobpowell.net/f...

All new articles provide code in C# and VB.NET.
Subscribe to the RSS feeds provided and never miss a new article.

"Erik Read" <ErikRead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a vendor that is providing us with GIF images that we need to
convert
> to another format. The problem is that when I load the image from this
vendor
> into a bitmap object I get an "Invalid Parameter" exception. Any other GIF
> seems to work fine.
> These images appear to be GIF87 images if that helps. The Windows XP Image
> viewer won't view them and neither will Paint. Fireworks will view the
image
> but when I do an export it exports to GIF89 which I have no problems with.
Is
> there something with this particular GIF format?

Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]

Hi Erik,

I am working on a gif decoding and showing algorithm that handles far more
non standard gif formats than the built-in version in Windows. I could
take a look at one of the pictures and try to find out what exactly is
wrong with it.

Attach an image (possibly in a zip) and post it here or to my mail account
(if not > 1mb).

--
Happy Coding!
Morten Wennevik [C# MVP]