microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

VisualWebDevExpress GuidedTour: Caching goes all wonky

Broida (spamless)

11/20/2006 1:31:00 AM

Hi!

I downloaded VisualWebDeveloper 2005 Express and the SQL Express with it. I've been running through the "Guided Tour" that starts at this page:
http://www.asp.net/guidedtour2/de...

Everything went well until the "tour" got into the Dependency Caching lessons, starting at:
http://www.asp.net/guidedtour...
That page indicates that it's perfectly ok to follow the "Setting Up SQL Server 7/2000 Dependency Caching" instructions it gives, even if you have SQL Express instead of SQL Server 7/2000. So I did that. It seemed to work as indicated on that page.

Then I went to the next page:
http://www.asp.net/guidedtour... (Implementing SQL Server 7/2000 Dependency Caching)
Other than the title, there is nothing there (or on the page that led to it) that indicates you can't do this with SQL Express, so I followed all the instructions. The fact that is was OK to do the setup earlier, made me think it would work to actually DO this SQL Server 7/2000 dependency caching method on SQL Express. THAT may be where I made a bad assumption. :)

Anyway, I had no trouble following the instructions, but running it got really wonky. It uses a GridView control: Clicking on any of the column headers to sort lines SOMETIMES does absolutely nothing and SOMETIMES causes it to act as though I had hit one of the "Edit" links. But Editing any data and hitting the "Update" link either just refreshed the "Edit" page or it went to the MSIE "page could not be loaded" thing. Poking around with ANY of the controls on that specific page (except the menu) seemed to give random (and always WRONG) results. Even just refreshing the page caused different errors at different times. Really wonky.

So, my question is: Was I wrong to assume, because the "setup" step for SQL Server 7/2000 could be performed with SQL Express, that the actual "use it" step for SQL Server 7/2000 would also work on SQL Express?
In other words: Should I have skipped that page and moved on to the next page: "SQL Express Dependency Caching" instead?

Thanks!
Mike