Brian Ray

6/26/2006 5:10:00 AM

I have built an app and set it iis (iis 5, win 2k) to be able to run http or
https. I have found that SSL (when I use my iPAQ pocket pc 2003) takes
about 4 times longer to load each page. Pages range in size between 2k and
9k, the odd page has 1 gif taking up 1k. I didn't expect ssl to have that
large of a performance hit (not sure if the hit is on the server or mobile
side). What kinds of things can I do to speed things up?

2 Answers

Christoph Richter [AT]

i would suggest, using an newer windows.

what processor, ram does your server have?

ssl use more processor time, but you should not really feel it, if you
have an processor that is fast enough.

cheers,
christoph

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 22:09:45 -0700, "Jeremy Chapman"
<nospam@please.com> wrote:

>I have built an app and set it iis (iis 5, win 2k) to be able to run http or
>https. I have found that SSL (when I use my iPAQ pocket pc 2003) takes
>about 4 times longer to load each page. Pages range in size between 2k and
>9k, the odd page has 1 gif taking up 1k. I didn't expect ssl to have that
>large of a performance hit (not sure if the hit is on the server or mobile
>side). What kinds of things can I do to speed things up?

Cheers,
Christoph

Vienna/Austria

http://www.code4ward.net/cs2...

Brian Ray

The server we're using for testing is an antique. A celeron 600mhz with
384mb ram and a 6 gig hd! It's running win2k and sql server 2k. I like
testing with these type of machines, it I can get it to run well on that
it'll run well on anything.

After more investigation, I think the SSL performance hit is on the mobile
though, because when I browse to the app from my desktop machine It's not
nearly as slow.