Karl A Mikesell

8/2/2003 2:33:00 AM

Ran into a problem trying to access SQL server using W2k3 Web Edition,
cannot load SQL client, but can access Web services that access SQL Server.

Without loading MSDE, I need access other SQL servers; why not allow SQL
client on Web Server, and please don''t use that four letters -- ODBC?

Now Enter the 4th Tier

How is the Web Edition being used? (is it being used?)

1 Answer

Karl A Mikesell

The problem is not the code, but the Web Edition does not permit loading SQL
Client, although to code works after loading MSDE, since database is
external a SQL CAL would still be required, and I would prefer not to have
MSDE loaded on the Web Server just the SQL Client connector.

Sample code from doctors.aspx.vb on ASP.NET MOC course

Me.SqlSelectCommand1 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
Me.SqlConnection1 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
Me.SqlInsertCommand1 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
Me.SqlUpdateCommand1 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
Me.SqlDeleteCommand1 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand
Me.SqlDataAdapter1 = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlDataAdapter
Me.DsDoctors1 = New BenefitsVB.dsDoctors
CType(Me.DsDoctors1,
System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).BeginInit()
'
'SqlSelectCommand1
'
Me.SqlSelectCommand1.CommandText = "SELECT dr_id, dr_lname,
dr_fname, phone, address, city, state, zip FROM doctors"
Me.SqlSelectCommand1.Connection = Me.SqlConnection1
'
'SqlConnection1
.
.
.
Etc..

Without MSDE loaded a SQLClient Exception is thown, I loaded MSDE so I do
not remember to exact SQL Exception.

Karl