DM McGowan II

8/1/2003 6:32:00 AM

"simon taylor" <simon.taylor@fdlearning.com> wrote in message
news:6ffb6d34.0307300145.5de5a10a@posting.google.com...
> Hello all,
> Has anyone had any success with encoding attachments in a MIME format.
> I've read in many places that dot net web services only support DIME
> encoding but when your clients are expecting MIME and are not willing
> or able to decode DIME this becomes a bit of a problem.
> Is MIME encoding possible ?
> Is there anyway I could build an Isapi filter to do the encoding ?
> Should I just give up with Microshaft and move to Java ?
>
> any thoughts ??
> simon.

I'm using DIME but if you must use MIME and (apparently) SOAP; you might
want to check this link?

http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-a...

3 Answers

simon.taylor

Dave/Arthur,
Thanks very much for your help - I feel as though I'm finally getting
somewhere :)
However, Now I've encoded my SOAP message and attachment into MIME,
how do I use CDO to send it back to my client using HTTP ?
All CDO seems to do is save it to a directory where the email server
can pick it up and do its stuff with it ?
I guess this is one of the things that .NET web services does under
the covers ? what concerns me, is at the stage when I have built the
MIME message I do not know what to do with it. I don't think I can put
it back into the web service pipeline - If I can please do tell me how
?

many thanks for your help
simon.

Dave Beauchemin [MVP]

Simon,

The following article should answer all your questions:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/03/WebMethods/de....

It contains information about Base64 encoding, and MIME content both inside
and outside the SOAP envelope (note that with the W3C Note, the MIME content
should be outside the SOAP envelope; you should check with your client to
see if they want you to support the W3C Note on SOAP attachments
[pre-DIME]). It also has code samples to get you started.
--

Dave Beauchemin
Microsoft MVP, MCP

> Dave/Arthur,
> Thanks very much for your help - I feel as though I'm finally getting
> somewhere :)
> However, Now I've encoded my SOAP message and attachment into MIME,
> how do I use CDO to send it back to my client using HTTP ?
> All CDO seems to do is save it to a directory where the email server
> can pick it up and do its stuff with it ?
> I guess this is one of the things that .NET web services does under
> the covers ? what concerns me, is at the stage when I have built the
> MIME message I do not know what to do with it. I don't think I can put
> it back into the web service pipeline - If I can please do tell me how
> ?
>
> many thanks for your help
> simon.

simon.taylor

Dave/Arthur,
Thanks very much for your reply........
You guys have been really helpful......
Once again thanks very much for taking the time to help a stranger :)

simon.