Dave Beauchemin [MVP]

7/30/2003 3:40:00 PM

Simon,

Simply encode the binary data to Base64 using the .NET Framework methods
available in the XmlTextWriter (WriteBase64) and the XmlTextReader
(ReadBase64). You can then pass your MIME data along the wire in the XML
document with little extra effort.

As for your question regarding DIME, DIME is only available with the Web
Services Enhancements (WSE), and is currently an add-on to the .NET
Framework. DIME is part of the WS-* specifications, and most likely (as
seems to be the case with your client), is not supported by very many
products as of today.

Finally, regarding Java, you can easily interoperate between web services
built in any language, as long as they are standards-compliant. See the Web
Services Interoperability Organization (http://www...) for more
information on this.
--

Dave Beauchemin
Microsoft MVP, MCP

"simon taylor" <simon.taylor@fdlearning.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
> Has anyone had any success with encoding attachments in a MIME format.
> I've read in many places that dot net web services only support DIME
> encoding but when your clients are expecting MIME and are not willing
> or able to decode DIME this becomes a bit of a problem.
> Is MIME encoding possible ?
> Is there anyway I could build an Isapi filter to do the encoding ?
> Should I just give up with Microshaft and move to Java ?
>
> any thoughts ??
> simon.

1 Answer

simon.taylor

Dave,
Firstly thanks very much for your reply - it is much appreciated.

I think that I was not too clear in my initial message with respect to
MIME encoding. The specification I am working to, says.....

"support the use of attachments to deliver the data seperately from
the SOAP envelope using MIME"

As I understand it this means that the data is not to be encoded
within the SOAP body - I think this is what you are describing ? If
I'm right do you know of a mechanism to encode the attachment external
to the soap envelope ?

I am using wse filters to modify the xml that is to be sent to the
client but if at this stage I add MIME headers before my xml and add a
MIME encoded attahcment to the message (after the envelope) its going
to fall over in a big heap when I attempt to put the message back into
the pipeline.

With regards to your comments about DIME - Its nice to hear I'm not
going mad :)

And with regards to your final comment please don't take this the
wrong way, this is not a slur on you, and I do not wish to offend, but
it does make me smile when when people use phrases like "easy" in the
context of interoperability.
How can it be easy when Microsoft only seem to do DIME encoding and my
client can only do MIME. Again I'm very new to this so please feel
free to tell me I'm talking rubbish (but also please tell me why :))

I look forward to your reply - and once again thank you.

simon.