Re: Web services / application architecture question

Michael Friel

7/30/2003 10:59:00 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply Dino....It has made me realise
even more starkly that I need to get up to speed very
quickly on the various aspects of the .NET framework
especially on the suitablity of the various technologies
applied to a given application scenario. Is there a
Microsoft course specifically aimed at gearing individuals
up to make these decisions? I did find a course that seems
to fit the bill... look at
http://www.vbug.co.uk/training/n... ... but
unfortunately the timings do not suit my schedule.

[5 updates per second sounds ambitious for a thin client.
This means 5 http request/replies per second? For each
client? and each
reply includes a new graphical image?]
Indeed

[where does the "thin client" requirement come in]
The thin client requirement comes from a vision that
eventually our traders will be able to use this
application remotely on a machine that has neither the
software nor, potentially the runtimes (although this is
not an absolute)

Are you suggesting that perhaps using .NET remoting
instead of a web service is the way forward?

One last thing... are smart client apps that deploy and
run within an IE browser a new feature in .NET? Does this
mean that the hosting machine needs the runtimes? I guess
not but some further elaboration would be greatly
appreciated...

Thanks again

Michael

requirement come in?
>Did you know it is possible to produce a smart client app
that deploys and
>runs within the IE browser (no installation step)? This
can free you from
>the HTTP request/reply model, and generate charts CLIENT
SIDE, which means,
>much less data being sent across the wire. you can send
data deltas instead
>of full, elaborated images.
>
>Also, your idea that the web service will "continually
send updates until a
>discontinue notice is received" is not how it works,
typically. A web
>service is request / reply. It sends info when
requested. Now it is
>possibly to have one-way web service messages, but
applied to your scenario
>the "web service" would be the "sender" not
the "receiver". In other words,
>the thing generating the chart (or data) would send the
web service request,
>and your web app would have to be a webservice listener.
>
>Which brings me back to the smart client idea....
>

>"Mike F" <mfriel@starmark.biz> wrote in message
>> I currently have a requirement to produce a thin client
>> financial charting application. An outline of the
proposed
>> architecture is as follows...
>>
>> 1) A .NET web application that will display an
>> indeterminate number of line charts with real time
>> plotting of live prices from an electronic exchange. As
>> some markets are experiencing high volatility there may
be
>> as many as 5 updates per second. The charts will be
>> produced server side by a web services component. The
>> charts will be configurable from the UI.
>>
>> 2) The proposed web service will be multifunctional in
>> that it will.
>>
>> a) Connect to a number of electronic exchanges through
>> existing COM+ components (written in unmanaged c++
code),
>> registering for and receiving real time price feeds for
up
>> to 100 products.
>>
>> b) Talk to the enterprise database to.
>> i) retrieve proprietary data pertaining to the afore
>> mentioned products
>> ii) store prices sampled at a time interval of 5
minutes
>> iii) retrieve historical sampled prices
>>
>> c) Use a .NET charting component to produce two charts
in
>> one image [for each product being charted], the first of
>> which is a plot of the sampled prices and the second a
>> side-by-side chart with a single line plotting from the
>> last sampled price to the most recent live price.
>>
>> d) Send the subsequent charts to the web application
>>
>> My vision is that the web service will accept discrete
>> requests for a number of charts from the proposed web
>> application, then continually send the charts up to the
>> web application until a discontinuation request is sent.
>>
>> My problem is that, being a new comer to .NET I am not
>> sure if this architecture is feasible. I additionally
have
>> concerns as to the viability of the usage of a web
service
>> in this scenario in terms of scalability and as to
whether
>> my lack of understanding is leading me down an incorrect
>> route. Into the bargain I need to answer the high level
>> architectural questions so that I can select
suitable .NET
>> training. So if you have any comments on the feasibility
>> of this proposed architecture / other suggestions,
please