Garth Ormsby

7/30/2003 8:33:00 AM

Hi Dino et al,
I'm currently experiencing the same error which is very frustrating: even
the out of the box "HelloWorld" WebService1 service is failing at
DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx Line: 1203; same version number;
installed VS.NET Prof 2003.
My colleague tried the same "HelloWorld" service using the same (corporate)
product install, and had no problems. Sigh.

Any clues? As a workaround, I've reverted to using Web.Matrix and the
Cassini server for testing web-services, which works fine - so I guess there
is something about the IIS5 (Win2k Prof SP3) metabase settings, or a
permissions issue?

If anyone else has seen it and has an IIS based workaround, I'm
interested...
Rgds
Garth

"Dino Chiesa [MSFT]" <dinoch@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> -Dino
>

> "Klaus Even Enevoldsen" <klaus-spam-me-not@even.dk> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a big web-project with both classic ASP and ASP.NET
> > mixed and it works perfectly. We have started to make a
> > few web services and the services work just fine and we
> > can use the ?WSDL option, but we cannot get the nicely
> > formatted page, with the description of the web service
> > (when just typing the web service name in the browser).
> >
> > We get the message shown at the end of this message.
> >
> > Please can anybody help???
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Klaus Enevoldsen
> >
> > Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
> > execution of the current web request. Please review the
> > stack trace for more information about the error and where
> > it originated in the code.
> >
> > Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object
> > reference not set to an instance of an object.
> >
> > Source Error:
> >

> > Line 1201:
> > Line 1202: OperationBinding FindHttpBinding(string
> > verb) {
> > Line 1203: foreach (ServiceDescription description
> > in serviceDescriptions) {
> > Line 1204: foreach (Binding binding in
> > description.Bindings) {
> > Line 1205: HttpBinding httpBinding =
> > (HttpBinding)binding.Extensions.Find(typeof(HttpBinding));
> >

> > Source File: c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
> > \Config\DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx Line: 1203
> >
> > Stack Trace:
> >

> > [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an
> > instance of an object.]
> > ASP.DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator_aspx.FindHttpBinding
> > (String verb) in c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
> > \Config\DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx:1203
> >
> > ASP.DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator_aspx.get_HttpPostOperationBind
> > ing() in c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
> > \Config\DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx:441
> > ASP.DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator_aspx.get_ShowingHttpPost()
> > in c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
> > \Config\DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx:456
> > ASP.DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator_aspx.__Render__control13
> > (HtmlTextWriter __output, Control parameterContainer) in
> > c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
> > \Config\DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx:1435
> > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter
> > writer) +27
> > System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render
> > (HtmlTextWriter writer) +29
> > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter
> > writer) +243
> > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter
> > writer) +72
> > System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
> > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter
> > writer) +243
> > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1929

> > ---------------------
> > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
> > Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

3 Answers

Dino Chiesa [MSFT]

I never saw this symptom;
Maybe Klaus has solved it (his last post was over a month ago).
I've emailed him separately...

-Dino

"Garth Ormsby" <garth.ormsby@computershare.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > ASP.DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator_aspx.__Render__control13
> > > (HtmlTextWriter __output, Control parameterContainer) in
> > > c:\winnt\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322
> > > \Config\DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx:1435
> > > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter
> > > writer) +27
> > > System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render
> > > (HtmlTextWriter writer) +29
> > > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter
> > > writer) +243
> > > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter
> > > writer) +72
> > > System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
> > > System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter
> > > writer) +243
> > > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +1929

> > > ---------------------
> > > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
> > > Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Yeah, I asked Klaus too and the email bounced.
Well, if you find out anything, let me know! Cheers

> I never saw this symptom;
> Maybe Klaus has solved it (his last post was over a month ago).
> I've emailed him separately...
>
> -Dino
>
> "Garth Ormsby" <garth.ormsby@computershare.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Dino et al,
> > I'm currently experiencing the same error which is very frustrating:
even
> > the out of the box "HelloWorld" WebService1 service is failing at
> > DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx Line: 1203; same version number;
> > installed VS.NET Prof 2003.
> > My colleague tried the same "HelloWorld" service using the same
> (corporate)
> > product install, and had no problems. Sigh.
> >
> > Any clues? As a workaround, I've reverted to using Web.Matrix and the
> > Cassini server for testing web-services, which works fine - so I guess
> there
> > is something about the IIS5 (Win2k Prof SP3) metabase settings, or a
> > permissions issue?
> >
> > If anyone else has seen it and has an IIS based workaround, I'm
> > interested...
> > Rgds
> > Garth
> >
> > "Dino Chiesa [MSFT]" <dinoch@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have never seen this.
> > > Could it be that your DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx has been modified,
> > > changed, or damanged.
> > >
> > > Do you have another machine to try this on? does the same error
occur?
> > > can you compare the DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx file on both these
> > > machines - are they the same?
> > > Do you have another web service to try it with ? a very simple
ASMX -
> > does
> > > the same error occur?
> > >

> > > DefaultWsdlHelpGenerator.aspx is a built-in part of ASP.NET
> > >
> > > -Dino
> > >

> > > "Klaus Even Enevoldsen" <klaus-spam-me-not@even.dk> wrote in message

Dino Chiesa [MSFT]

Klaus says he never resolved it, still interested in the answer !

Let me see what I can do....