Data.SqlXml not found on Web Service machine

[ mcberio ]

We are trying to set-up our app on a remote network. On one machine we have
SqlServer 2000, on the other we have our Web Service.

The error message on the Web Service machine is:

"File or Assembly Name Microsoft.Data.SqlXML or one of its dependancies was
not found."

We believe all required service packs etc are installed... except SQLXML 3.0
won't install on the Web Service machine because SqlServer isn't installed
here.

Must the web service run on the SqlServer machine? We can't figure out how
to install the Data.SqlXml dll as a standalone component.

Tried google and MSDN with no joy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

JB

3 Answers

Dave Beauchemin [MVP]

SQLXML 3.0 is meant to be installed on a web server too... Think of it as a
driver (though it's a lot more than that, but for purposes of
simplification) for SQL Server.

You need to have it on the server your web service is running on in order
for you to be able to use this functionality (specifically, access the
Microsoft.Data.SqlXml assembly).
--

Dave Beauchemin
Microsoft MVP, MCP

"[ mcberio ]" <mcberio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We are trying to set-up our app on a remote network. On one machine we
have
> SqlServer 2000, on the other we have our Web Service.
>
> The error message on the Web Service machine is:
>
> "File or Assembly Name Microsoft.Data.SqlXML or one of its dependancies
was
> not found."
>
> We believe all required service packs etc are installed... except SQLXML
3.0
> won't install on the Web Service machine because SqlServer isn't installed
> here.
>
> Must the web service run on the SqlServer machine? We can't figure out how
> to install the Data.SqlXml dll as a standalone component.
>
> Tried google and MSDN with no joy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> JB

[ mcberio ]

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

When we tried to run the install of SQLXML on the web server running the Web
Services (note this machine doesn't have a SqlServer installed - our
database is on a separate server) we got a message saying:

"...at least SQL Server client installation is required..."

It seems like a bit of a restriction that you must install a SqlServer
client before you can install SQLXML. That means if you have a Web Service
which needs the Data.SqlXml assembly then not only do you need to install
SQLXML, but you need to install some version of SqlServer too!

Surely I am missing something here? There must we a way to install the
assembly on a database-less server?

Many thanks,

JB

"Dave Beauchemin [MVP]" <xmldude@mvps.org> wrote in message
> SQLXML 3.0 is meant to be installed on a web server too... Think of it as
> driver (though it's a lot more than that, but for purposes of
> simplification) for SQL Server.
>
> You need to have it on the server your web service is running on in order
> for you to be able to use this functionality (specifically, access the
> Microsoft.Data.SqlXml assembly).
> --
>

> Dave Beauchemin
> Microsoft MVP, MCP
> www.webdotmag.com
>

> "[ mcberio ]" <mcberio@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are trying to set-up our app on a remote network. On one machine we
> have
> > SqlServer 2000, on the other we have our Web Service.
> >
> > The error message on the Web Service machine is:
> >
> > "File or Assembly Name Microsoft.Data.SqlXML or one of its dependancies
> was
> > not found."
> >
> > We believe all required service packs etc are installed... except SQLXML
> 3.0
> > won't install on the Web Service machine because SqlServer isn't
installed
> > here.
> >
> > Must the web service run on the SqlServer machine? We can't figure out
how
> > to install the Data.SqlXml dll as a standalone component.
> >
> > Tried google and MSDN with no joy. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

> > Many thanks,
> >
> > JB

Dave Beauchemin [MVP]

JB,

If it's asking you for SQL Server Client, you can simply install the Client
connectivity tools and it should work (the client connectivity tools do not
install SQL Server, they just install Enterprise Manager and the like).

See
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4023DEEA-F179-45DE-B41D-84E4FF655A3B&disp...
for the requirements page (you will also need MDAC 2.6 and the SOAP Toolkit
2.0 to be installed before installing SQLXML).

See the microsoft.public.sqlserver.xml group for additional information.