microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

ASP.Net 2.0 Caching and ISA 2004

David Lozzi

7/20/2006 3:08:00 PM

Howdy,

Sorry for the cross group post, but I'm not sure who would know more on
this. I going to have my ASP.Net 2.0 application running on a server behind
my ISA 2004 server. Several pages are setup for cacheing. I read somwhere
that if a downstream server like ISA 2004 supports cache, that it will cache
the pages, not the local IIS server. Do I need to enable ISA to do this? Do
I need to tell IIS not to do this? Or is it automatic?

Thanks!!

--
David Lozzi
dlozzi@(remove)delphi-ts.com

1 Answer

Joerg Jooss

Thus wrote David,

> Howdy,
>
> Sorry for the cross group post, but I'm not sure who would know more
> on this. I going to have my ASP.Net 2.0 application running on a
> server behind my ISA 2004 server. Several pages are setup for
> cacheing. I read somwhere that if a downstream server like ISA 2004
> supports cache, that it will cache the pages, not the local IIS
> server.

An origin web server usually never acts as a cache. On any account, the cache
that's closest to client and has a fresh copy of a resource will serve that
resource. In your scenario, any cache hit on the ISA server will prevent
the request from reaching your IIS.

> Do I need to enable ISA to do this? Do I need to tell IIS not
> to do this? Or is it automatic?

I'm not an ISA expert, but I guess you'll have to configure it in some way
;-)

You must set up your IIS configuration and all web application components
so that all pages, scripts, images etc. are marked with the appropriate Cache-Control
and Expires headers.

Cheers,
--
Joerg Jooss