microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

Connection string password in clear text in ASP.NET Config Setting

Lars

6/7/2006 7:19:00 PM

We have encrypted the connection string in web.config, however if you look at
ASP.NET Configuration Settings in IIS Manager, the connection string
including the password is there in clear text.

Does anyone know how to avoid this?
Thanks!
3 Answers

Brock Allen

The configuration plumbing in the CLR decrypts settings as code calls the
APIs to read the values. This allows the code to not know/care that a value
was encrypted. The UI you're referring to calls the same APIs. Why is this
an issue? Presumably an admin is the only one that would have access to the
IIS config tool, and the admin is the person you're supposed to trust to
configure your app.

-Brock
http://staff.develop....

> We have encrypted the connection string in web.config, however if you
> look at ASP.NET Configuration Settings in IIS Manager, the connection
> string including the password is there in clear text.
>
> Does anyone know how to avoid this?
> Thanks!

Lars

Agreed that it is not a huge security risk. However we do have customers who
would find passwords displayed in clear text totally unacceptable wherever
they're displayed

"Brock Allen" wrote:

> The configuration plumbing in the CLR decrypts settings as code calls the
> APIs to read the values. This allows the code to not know/care that a value
> was encrypted. The UI you're referring to calls the same APIs. Why is this
> an issue? Presumably an admin is the only one that would have access to the
> IIS config tool, and the admin is the person you're supposed to trust to
> configure your app.
>
> -Brock
> http://staff.develop....
>

> > We have encrypted the connection string in web.config, however if you
> > look at ASP.NET Configuration Settings in IIS Manager, the connection
> > string including the password is there in clear text.
> >
> > Does anyone know how to avoid this?
> > Thanks!

Brock Allen

This would be a great situation to provide product feedback to MSFT:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/produc...

-Brock
http://staff.develop....