microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.drawing

Retained mode drawing or controls?

MasterChief

11/15/2004 6:32:00 PM

Hi!
What are the pros and cons for creating a drawing program with either
objects that draw themselves in a retained mode drawing system, or using
controls derived from Control? We are creating a quite extensive drawing
program and are wondering if one approach is better than another. A
"page" in our system will usually contain less than 100 elements, though
we can't really impose this restriction on our users.

Thanks!

- Peder -
1 Answer

Frank Hileman

- Controls do not support true transparency. It is faked by redrawing
control below, which has limitations (no double buffer, poor antialiasing at
edges).

- Controls are not as scalable. Each control wraps a Win32 control. For
example, try creating 10K Controls vs. 10K VG.net objects; see what happens
:)

- A single drawing surface can optimize painting in a way that can never be
done with Controls.

- Controls have a square picking area by default, but you can adjust this.

- Controls don't zoom and pan well. It can be faked but there are limits to
coordinates much smaller than float limits.

I don't think there are any pros for controls unless you have no retained
mode system like VG.net available, which takes care of mouse events and
painting for you.

Regards,
Frank Hileman

check out VG.net: www.vgdotnet.com
Animated vector graphics system
Integrated Visual Studio .NET graphics editor