microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

Session state problem when displaying web page in Outlook

David H

5/11/2006 7:56:00 PM

We are trying to display a web app in Outlook but have run into a serious
issue with session state. Basically, we are attempting to set an Outlook
folder to display a web page (ala Microsoft CRM 3's Outlook integration), but
Outlook's implementation of the IE browser control appears to force a new
session whenever you open a new browser window from the home page through
script with window.open( ) or <a href=url target=_blank>New Page</a>.

I've looked at the session IDs and the popup window is definitely running in
a different session.

I'm interested in 2 different approaches but have no idea whether either
will work.

The first would be to force the popup window to run in the same session as
the page being displayed in Outlook. Is it possible, given the sessionID of
the first window, to force or trick the popup window into using that first
sessinID?

Second, cookieless sessions appear work, but we don't want to make that
change globally. Is there any way to have a user use cookieless sessions at
runtime on a case-by-case basis? Or do cookieless sessions have to be turned
on globally
in the web.config for all users of the web application?

FYI, our web app was written in ASP.Net 1.1 but we will be migrating to 2.0
fairly soon, so a solution in either version would be of interest.

Thanks!

1 Answer

Brock Allen

In ASP.NET 2.0 you can implement something called a SessionIDManager -- this
is the code that generates session IDs and is responsible for sending them
back and forth to the browser. The default one uses cookies or mangled URL
based upon configuration, but you could build your own to do the default
behavior most of the time, but for your one page do something different (like
query string, mangled URl, etc...). Check out the ISessionManager interface
and the SessionIDManager class.

-Brock
http://staff.develop....