Alex Vincent

7/21/2003 4:01:00 PM

All,

Does anyone have a tried and tested method of tracking
usage of their webservice - more importantly a method of
persisting the Reqest/Response classes (if you've gone
down the object route) in SQL or the filesystem?

Whilst I expose the webservice initially to my users, I
want to check/'spy-on' what requests are
incoming/outgoing...

cheers if anyone has any suggestions!

alex
3 Answers

Dino Chiesa [MSFT]

Have you considered using a web service extension?

The idea is you can add your own custom attribute to a webmethod, and
provide the code that implements the attribute. This code can then log all
incoming webrequests, wherever it wants (SQL, event log, file system, etc)
as well as outgoing responses.

(NOTE: this works only with SOAP, not with HTTP-GET (eg, will not work with
ASMX test page invoked by a browser!!))

Here are a few references...

example source, logs to filesystem:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClas...

on the web.config syntax:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfaddelementforsoapextensiontypessoapextensionimportertypessoapextensionreflecto...

on the SoapExtension mechanism:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClas...

on the anatomy of an xml web service call:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconanatomyofsoapwebserviceli...

on altering a soap call:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconalteringsoapmessageusingsoapexte...

-Dino

"Alex Vincent" <alex@ttg.co.uk> wrote in message
> All,
>
> Does anyone have a tried and tested method of tracking
> usage of their webservice - more importantly a method of
> persisting the Reqest/Response classes (if you've gone
> down the object route) in SQL or the filesystem?
>
> Whilst I expose the webservice initially to my users, I
> want to check/'spy-on' what requests are
> incoming/outgoing...
>
> cheers if anyone has any suggestions!
>
> alex

Alex Vincent

Excellent, thanks for the plethora of helpful pointers!

Also found a mistake on the web.config setup section (horrah!), already sent
a mail to MS ;)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfaddelementforsoapextensiontypessoapextensionimportertypessoapextensionreflecto...

thanks again

alex

"Dino Chiesa [MSFT]" <dinoch@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you considered using a web service extension?
>
> The idea is you can add your own custom attribute to a webmethod, and
> provide the code that implements the attribute. This code can then log
all
> incoming webrequests, wherever it wants (SQL, event log, file system, etc)
> as well as outgoing responses.
>
> (NOTE: this works only with SOAP, not with HTTP-GET (eg, will not work
with
> ASMX test page invoked by a browser!!))
>
> Here are a few references...
>
> example source, logs to filesystem:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClas...

> on the web.config syntax:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfaddelementforsoapextensiontypessoapextensionimportertypessoapextensionreflecto...

> on the SoapExtension mechanism:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebServicesProtocolsSoapExtensionClas...

> on the anatomy of an xml web service call:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconanatomyofsoapwebserviceli...

> on altering a soap call:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconalteringsoapmessageusingsoapexte...

> -Dino
>

> "Alex Vincent" <alex@ttg.co.uk> wrote in message
> > All,
> >
> > Does anyone have a tried and tested method of tracking
> > usage of their webservice - more importantly a method of
> > persisting the Reqest/Response classes (if you've gone
> > down the object route) in SQL or the filesystem?
> >
> > Whilst I expose the webservice initially to my users, I
> > want to check/'spy-on' what requests are
> > incoming/outgoing...
> >
> > cheers if anyone has any suggestions!
> >
> > alex

rkiss

Alex,

have a look at my article (C# source code)
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/webservices/webservic...

Roman