microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

can caching trigger System.OutOfMemoryException ?

John A Grandy

4/26/2006 8:43:00 PM

Does ASP.NET 2.0 caching begin utilizing the pagefile if the web server runs
extremely low on RAM ?

Is it possible for an ASP.NET 2.0 caching implementation to trigger a
System.OutOfMemoryException ?

1 Answer

Göran Andersson

John A Grandy wrote:
> Does ASP.NET 2.0 caching begin utilizing the pagefile if the web server runs
> extremely low on RAM ?

I believe not, as that would defeat the whole purpose of caching.

> Is it possible for an ASP.NET 2.0 caching implementation to trigger a
> System.OutOfMemoryException ?

You could test this by adding a number of very large objects to the
cache. I believe that it will just throw away anything that is too large
to cache.