Stahler, Wes

7/17/2003 3:19:00 PM

If I move a web service from one machine to another, do I have to change the
reference in all the apps that were using it? Anyone faced this issue yet?

Thanks!

6 Answers

edsmith

You will need to update the web services; there is no way to know who is accessing your web service. If you have a reference to a web service, and you expect
it to be moved, then you can set the property to dynamic and it will put an entry into your app.config or web.config file to get it at run time. Then you will not have
to recompile the project at that time.

If you are changing the web server as part of deployment (for instance, updating to a production server from a test server), you can include logic in you
deployment project to update the url in the app.config to point at the new server.

Hope this helps;
-Ed

--
Ed Smith, VBQA Team
--------------------
>From: "Stahler, Wes" <stahler.2@osu.edu>
>Subject: Moving a Web Service
>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:18:55 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
>
>If I move a web service from one machine to another, do I have to change the
>reference in all the apps that were using it? Anyone faced this issue yet?
>
>Thanks!

Tom Vande Stouwe MCSD.net

Another option is to think alias. If you are going to be moving an
application within your domain, consider giving the app a name in the DNS
box that is just for this app. ie. Webservice.mydomain.com is a host entry
in your DNS table that points to 123.123.123.123 and you want to move the
webservice to a machine that has IP 123.123.123.124, move the site, and then
change the host record in the DNS box to 124 from 123, and the applications
will never know the move occurred.
--
Tom Vande Stouwe MCSD.net, MCAD.net, MCP

If you are not making any mistakes
....you are not trying hard enough.
"Stahler, Wes" <stahler.2@osu.edu> wrote in message
> If I move a web service from one machine to another, do I have to change
the
> reference in all the apps that were using it? Anyone faced this issue
yet?

> Thanks!

Dino Chiesa [MSFT]

another option is UDDI.

!!

"Microsodt News" <tomv@conpro.net> wrote in message
> Another option is to think alias. If you are going to be moving an
> application within your domain, consider giving the app a name in the DNS
> box that is just for this app. ie. Webservice.mydomain.com is a host entry
> in your DNS table that points to 123.123.123.123 and you want to move the
> webservice to a machine that has IP 123.123.123.124, move the site, and
then
> change the host record in the DNS box to 124 from 123, and the
applications
> will never know the move occurred.
> --
> Tom Vande Stouwe MCSD.net, MCAD.net, MCP
>
> If you are not making any mistakes
> ...you are not trying hard enough.
> "Stahler, Wes" <stahler.2@osu.edu> wrote in message
> > If I move a web service from one machine to another, do I have to change
> the
> > reference in all the apps that were using it? Anyone faced this issue
> yet?
> >
> > Thanks!

Xiangyang Liu

If you have a lot of clients calling a lot of web
services, you might want to consider something like
the "Web Service Despatcher"
(http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/XYWebService....
asp). The implementation provided in the above link only
works for web services whose parameters are strings,
however you can generalize the idea if you want to.

Basically, all of you cleints call a special web service
(the Web Service Dispatcher) which dispatches the
requests to various service providers. If one or more of
the service providers is moved, your clients do not have
to change at all, you need to only to re-register the
changed providers with the Web Service Dispatcher.

Good luck.

Dave Bettin

Take advantage of ws-routing in WSE.

Dave

"Xiangyang Liu" <XiangYangL@aol.com> wrote in message
> If you have a lot of clients calling a lot of web
> services, you might want to consider something like
> the "Web Service Despatcher"
> (http://www.codeproject.com/vb/net/XYWebService....
> asp). The implementation provided in the above link only
> works for web services whose parameters are strings,
> however you can generalize the idea if you want to.
>
> Basically, all of you cleints call a special web service
> (the Web Service Dispatcher) which dispatches the
> requests to various service providers. If one or more of
> the service providers is moved, your clients do not have
> to change at all, you need to only to re-register the
> changed providers with the Web Service Dispatcher.
>
> Good luck.

Xiangyang Liu

I read "Routing SOAP Messages with Web Services
Enhancements 1.0" by Aaron Skonnard,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/building/de...
?pull=/library/en-us/dnwebsrv/html/routsoapwse.asp. It
involves so much(changing client and server code, changes
configuration files, etc.) that it can't be a suitable
solution for the simple problem I had, maybe the original
poster has the same problem.