Re: How do I return recordset via webservice?

Simon Smith

7/17/2003 12:36:00 PM

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:04:33 -0500 in article
<#qYWc39SDHA.940@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl> in
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices , "Wil Jensen"
<wjensen@sigins.com> wrote:

>Still kinda new at this sorry for the newb level questions.
>
>I'm writing an app where I basically want to pass queries to a webservice
>and have the web service return recordsets to the client (in essence the web
>server will be the middleman between the remote app and the DB). I'm
>assuming the recordsets would be good in text form as XML, but I'm open to
>whatever is best. It's not critical/confidential data so I'm not really
>worried about encrypting it going across the web.
>
>So in the web service I've got everything set to where I can have a
>DataReader for the recordset, but I don't know how to return that back
>through the web service. Here's the method which I need help with, the
>question marks <??> point out my most confused points.

Since a DataReader contains a connection to the database (which can
only be closed by closing the DataReader) you can't do this. You have
to return a DataSet.

--
Simon
simon dot smith at snowvalley dot com

Maks Skinder

I'have the same problem. But I'm trying to do it in C#, can anyone help us?

Regards
Maks from Italy