microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

Are Caching Application Blocks Worth It?

Kevin Burrowes

3/23/2006 5:54:00 PM

I need to implement caching for a large enterprise application and we are
planning to use the newest Caching Application Blocks. (Enterprise Library
Jan. 2006)

We want to cache Business Entities (DTO's) at the service layer and have a
few questions.

Are there other options than using Microsoft Caching blocks - possibly open
source?

The application will be on a web farm so from what I understand we need to
store the cache in SQL and am confused to the benefit of this since the
whole point of caching is to avoid hitting a database.

What design pattern could we use to implement this into our application?

thanks.

3 Answers

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello Kevin,

KB> I need to implement caching for a large enterprise application and
KB> we are planning to use the newest Caching Application Blocks.
KB> (Enterprise Library Jan. 2006)
KB> We want to cache Business Entities (DTO's) at the service layer and
KB> have a few questions.
KB> Are there other options than using Microsoft Caching blocks -
KB> possibly open source?

You can reailise your own cache mechanizm, for example using WeakReference
or writing your own collection like here http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/genericcache.asp#...

KB> The application will be on a web farm so from what I understand we
KB> need to store the cache in SQL and am confused to the benefit of
KB> this since the whole point of caching is to avoid hitting a
KB> database.

Not always, SQL gives you data robust in case of fallover. But if you prefer
smth else then SQL there are several other case, for example using StateServer.
I've described several cases in my article related to caching in clusters.
You can read it about here: http://spaces.msn.com/laflou...!7575E2FFC19135B4!355.entry

KB> What design pattern could we use to implement this into our application?

You need to determing what would you like to get and what are the constraints
for your system

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.c...

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Pandurang Nayak

Kevin,

ASP.NET 2.0 provides a comprehensive Caching model under the namespace
System.Web.Caching.

The EL 2.0 block still follows the 1.1 model and is suitable in certain
scenarios. But I would really recommend that you look at System.Web.Caching
and make use of the wonderful features there.

Go to www.asp.net and take a look at the How Do I videos for Caching (Part 1
and 2). That will give you an idea of how you can do a lot with ASP.NET
Caching API.

And by the way, the System.Web.Caching can also be used out of ASP.NET
environment (http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko/archive/2004/07/04/1...).

Regards,
Pandurang
--
blog: www.thinkingMS.com/pandurang

"Kevin Burrowes" wrote:

> I need to implement caching for a large enterprise application and we are
> planning to use the newest Caching Application Blocks. (Enterprise Library
> Jan. 2006)
>
> We want to cache Business Entities (DTO's) at the service layer and have a
> few questions.
>
> Are there other options than using Microsoft Caching blocks - possibly open
> source?
>
> The application will be on a web farm so from what I understand we need to
> store the cache in SQL and am confused to the benefit of this since the
> whole point of caching is to avoid hitting a database.
>
> What design pattern could we use to implement this into our application?
>
> thanks.

Raymond C. Fischer, 90 Hunt Way, Campbell, CA 95008; 408-374-1969

The DemocRAT Hall Of Shame http://www.democrathallof... asks
"Why do you always LIE?"

[Courtesy of Buster Norris]

On 14 Jul 2011 16:40:22 GMT, rfischer@sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>jane <jane.playne@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Simple, get a civil servant job. Obama has been handing out
>>government jobs like crazy to up the "jobs created" number.
>Rightard rule #1: lie, lie again, lie more, lie about lying.
>http://voices.washingtonpost.com/federal-eye/2010/09/how_many_federal_workers_...

Clinton Fed Employees 2.9 million
Bush Fed Employees 2.63 million -9.3%
Obama Fed Employees 2.65 million (so far) +0.76%

FROM YOUR CITE, DUMBASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from:
The DemocRATs Hall of Shame!
http://www.democrathallof...