problem with samsung-944 cellular phone

Nadav Popplewell

7/13/2005 2:20:00 PM

Hi everybody,

I have a problem with Samsung-944 cellular phone.
(the HTTP_USER_AGENT of this phone is
"SAMSUNG-SGH-E700/BSI+UP.Browser/6.1.0.6+(GUI)+MMP/1.0")

I have a form in my application with a textbox and a button.
On most cellular phones the post back from the button works OK,
on samsung-944 the post back returns error 404.
I've checked the log of the IIS and saw that the POST from the button is to
/main.aspx instead of to /icc/(....)/main.aspx.

This is the xhtml generated by asp.net:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN"
"http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd...
<head>
<title></title>
..s0{
text-align: right;
}
</head>
action="Main.aspx?__ufps=364052">
value="aDxfX1A7QDxmcm1Mb2dpbjvrspnijrfngLbgo4gsMDs+Oz6FByLHzJSvFm6mV496nQcMEZNeWQ=="/>
שם ×?שת×?ש:

<input name="txtUsername"/>
<input type="submit" name="_btnLogin" value="×?×?נס"/>

It seems to me the problem is with the 'action' attribute of the form tag
that should have the full url, but no matter what I do I can't get the
ASP.NET to generate the page with a full url.

This cellular phone is not recognized by ASP.NET, so I detected it's
capacities using the ASP.NET device profiling tool at
http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/de...
and added it to my application web.config file:

<browserCaps>
<use var="HTTP_USER_AGENT" />
<case match="SAMSUNG-SGH-E700\/BSI UP\.Browser\/6\.1">
isMobileDevice="true"
breaksOnInlineElements = "False"
browser = "Openwave 6.1"
canInitiateVoiceCall = "True"
canSendMail = "False"
cookies = "True"
inputType = "telephoneKeypad"
isColor = "True"
javascript = "False"
maximumHrefLength = "16000"
maximumRenderedPageSize = "64000"
mobileDeviceManufacturer = "SAMSUNG"
mobileDeviceModel = "SGH-E700"
preferredImageMime = "image/jpeg"
preferredRenderingMime = "application/xhtml+xml"
preferredRenderingType = "xhtml-basic"
requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl = "True"
requiresCommentInStyleElement = "False"
requiresFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl = "True"
requiresHiddenFieldValues = "False"
requiresHtmlAdaptiveErrorReporting = "False"
requiresOnEnterForwardForCheckboxLists = "False"
requiresPostRedirectionHandling = "True"
requiresXhtmlCssSuppression = "False"
screenBitDepth = "16"
screenCharactersHeight = "6"
screenCharactersWidth = "14"
screenPixelsHeight = "128"
screenPixelsWidth = "160"
supportsAccessKeyAttribute = "True"
supportsBodyClassAttribute = "True"
supportsBodyColor = "True"
supportsBold = "True"
supportsCss = "True"
supportsDivAlign = "True"
supportsDivNoWrap = "False"
supportsEmptyStringInCookieValue = "True"
supportsFontColor = "True"
supportsFontName = "True"
supportsFontSize = "True"
supportsItalic = "True"
supportsNoWrapStyle = "True"
supportsQueryStringInFormAction = "True"
supportsRedirectWithCookie = "True"
supportsSelectFollowingTable = "True"
supportsStyleElement = "True"
supportsTitleElement = "True"
supportsUrlAttributeEncoding = "True"
tables = "True"
type = "SAMSUNG-SGH-E700"
</case>
<!-- requiresSpecialViewStateEncoding = "True" -->
</filter>
</browserCaps>

If anybody has any idea how to solve this problem
PLEASE tell me,

Thanks
Nadav
4 Answers

yhhuang

Hi Nadav,

After reviewing the issue, I checked out the list of ASP.NET Mobile Control
and Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit Tested Devices also. The web link is:
http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?...

This device - samsng944 is not in the list yet. That is to say, it hasn't
been tested. Based on the following web page:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/m...
mwconSupportedDevices.asp
-------------
Supported Devices
Microsoft has performed testing for the ASP.NET mobile controls by using
the following devices, browsers, and device emulators. You can configure
many of these devices and emulators to work with different gateways. The
gateway that you choose depends on service availability and reliability in
the regions in which your customers operate devices. Although Microsoft has
tested the ASP.NET with popular gateways, Microsoft makes no claim that
ASP.NET is compatible with present or future gateways.

Applications developed using ASP.NET might work with additional devices and
browsers that have not been tested.

Device and browser manufacturers might provide updates that override or
update current device capabilities. Check with the appropriate corporations
about the availability and guidelines for using device emulators. The .NET
Framework does not include any devices, browsers, device emulators, or
phone service. Availability of devices varies by region and carrier.

IMPORTANT MICROSOFT CORPORATION MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE TESTING OF THE LISTED DEVICES,
BROWSERS, AND DEVICE EMULATORS.
---------------------

So currently you should contact device manafactures and report this issue
to them. They owns the device and has the capability to determine how to
deal with it. This should be the quickest way for the problem resolution.

If you have any more concerns, please feel free to post here. Thanks very
much for your understanding.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Register to Access MSDN Managed Newsgroups!
-http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/msdn...
p&SD=msdn

Nadav Popplewell

Is there any documentation of the Mobile Device Capacibilies?
I have been unable to find any documentation about some of the capabilities
(for example, 'requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl' )

I trying to get in touch with samsung, but it might take some time (to get
in touch with and for them to fix the problem).
I was hoping I can solve the program by adding the device capabilities for
the samsung 944 to my web.config, but I can't get ASP.NET to generate the
action attribute of the form tag with an absolute url (as the samsung 944
seems to require).
I would have thought that the 'requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl' capability
controls this, but it does NOT seem to do anything.

Nadav

yhhuang

Hi Nadav,

For requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl, the only description in MSDN is:
Returns true if the device requires an absolute URL for a postback. The
default value is false.

I checked our developer database. To get support of it, the device needs to
be in our supported list first. That is why I suggest you contact Samsung
and wait for their response first. If there is no plan or fix from them,
there is no way from our side to change the behavior from software part.

Thanks very much for your understanding.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Community Support

Register to Access MSDN Managed Newsgroups!
-http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/msdn...
p&SD=msdn

Nadav Popplewell

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say
> there is no way from our side to change the behavior from software part.
Which behavior? the phone's or ASP.NET's?

As I understand the way ASP.NET works, if the requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl
property is true for a certain device then the ASP.NET runtime should
generate html(or wml) pages with absolute Postback URL.
Now, for Samsung 944 the profile has requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl =true,
but the <form> 'action' attribute (which as far as I know is the Postback
url for the form) is NOT absolute.
What I want to know is,is there another property that will cause the ASP.NET
to generate an absolute URL in the action tag or not.

Thanks,
Nadav