microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

Application Caching In A Web Farm

Steven

2/5/2006 2:59:00 AM

I was curious if there were any suugestions on caching shared application
data in a web farm using .NET 1.1. We are using SQL Server for session state
managemnet and the June 2005 EL for user data caching.

The idea here is to have a shared application cache generated from the first
user action that is shared with other versus calling the database. The big
issue here is once a cache is established I need a mechanism to distribute
these cache to the other web servers within the web farm. The same
distribution concept will apply if another user process a tranaction. In
other word I have a web form that any number of user may access and as each
user process a tranaction I need to update this application cache and in turn
distrubute this updated cache to the other servers in the web farm.

I am open to any ideas on the subject and I have looked at the following as
a possible solution.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/07/Cu...
4 Answers

v-yren

Hi Steven,

Thanks for posting!

For the current issue, as the article from the MSDN Magazine mentioned, the
core concept is customizing the cache's dependency. Below is an
implementation of synchronizing the ASP.NET cache across AppDomains and Web
Farms:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20...

The article is written by the Peter A. Bromberg (MVP). It demonstrates how
to implement sharing the cache between Web Farms. I hope this will be
helpful. If you have any issues or concerns, please let me know. It's my
pleasure to be of assistance.

Regards,

Yuan Ren [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Support

Steven

Thanks so much, I will give this a look and attempt to implement it in our lab.

""Yuan Ren[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Thanks for posting!
>
> For the current issue, as the article from the MSDN Magazine mentioned, the
> core concept is customizing the cache's dependency. Below is an
> implementation of synchronizing the ASP.NET cache across AppDomains and Web
> Farms:
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/articles/20...
>
> The article is written by the Peter A. Bromberg (MVP). It demonstrates how
> to implement sharing the cache between Web Farms. I hope this will be
> helpful. If you have any issues or concerns, please let me know. It's my
> pleasure to be of assistance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yuan Ren [MSFT]
> Microsoft Online Support

v-yren

Hi Steven,

You are welcome:)

Yuan Ren [MSFT]
Microsoft Online Support

Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]

The issue with growing your own caching strategy as opposed to using the
database is that you will have to push the results across to all the
servers. During the push, the other servers will remain in an out-of-sync
state. It means you will have to account for this latency in code to
guarantee accuracy of your application. A home grown strategy is not
trivial.

If you must, you can use a windows service that propagates the changes to
each server remotely.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]