microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.caching

Newbie question about user-data caching

Baffled

1/23/2006 9:47:00 PM

I have both datatables and custom objects that are specific to a session and
need to be cached. As far as I can tell, there would be 2 basic ways to do
this:

1. Use session state to store these objects.
2. Use the System.Web.Caching namespace to cache the objects using a session
specific key.

So, is one of these approaches better (more efficient & scalable) than the
other or is there another approach the is best?

Thanks
1 Answer

Michael Nemtsev [MVP]

Hello baffled,

If u are not going to use WebFarm - choose Caching, it is more flexible and
very fast

b> I have both datatables and custom objects that are specific to a
b> session and need to be cached. As far as I can tell, there would be
b> 2 basic ways to do this:
b>
b> 1. Use session state to store these objects.
b> 2. Use the System.Web.Caching namespace to cache the objects using a
b> session
b> specific key.
b> So, is one of these approaches better (more efficient & scalable)
b> than the other or is there another approach the is best?
b>
b> Thanks
b>
---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/membe...

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche