waudoo

Ramon F Herrera

On Aug 24, 7:09 am, anonymous <anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 8:04 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>
> > You can't fight city hall...
> > You can't stop the clock...
>
> >http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/24/pennsylvania.cheeses...
>
> > I wonder in what language will Jesus greet him?
>
> > -Ramon
>
> One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
> language.  I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
> official language of the US.  I would have other languages up only in
> areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
> speaking visitors.  All legal documents should only be in English.
>
> If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
> English, I would try to learn that language.  If you live in the US, you
> should learn English.

Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
is:

English vs. Spanish.

Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:

English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)

vs.

English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
business!).

English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
US but in the world.

The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.

-Ramon The Poliglot

Anonymous@nowhere.com

On 8/24/2011 8:24 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:09 am, anonymous<anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On 8/24/2011 8:04 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> You can't fight city hall...
>>> You can't stop the clock...
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/24/pennsylvania.cheeses...
>>
>>> I wonder in what language will Jesus greet him?
>>
>>> -Ramon
>>
>> One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
>> language. I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
>> official language of the US. I would have other languages up only in
>> areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
>> speaking visitors. All legal documents should only be in English.
>>
>> If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
>> English, I would try to learn that language. If you live in the US, you
>> should learn English.
>
> The City of Cambridge offers classes of English. I called on behalf of
> a brother who wants to emigrate (no papers, no diploma) and was told
> that the waiting list was TWO YEARS.
>
> -Ramon

So? Yes, there should be more classes. However:

1 - Does he not have a TV?
2 - Does he not have a computer? There are courses online.
3 - What about a dvd player? There are many dvds available for learning
English.
4 - What, about, gee, that old fashioned thing called "books"?
5 - What about Boston? Somerville? Arlington? Newton? Waltham?
Saugus? Brookline?
6 - Are there no people he knows who know English with who he can practice?

IOW, a waiting list of two years in Cambridge is just an EXCUSE-- and a
very lame one at that. After all, going from Spanish to English is not
like going from Spanish to Chinese where not only is the written
material not able to be read by one who has not learned the thousands of
idiograms, but the phonetics are so drastically different. It should be
relatively easy for him to learn English -- at least enough to get by in
the beginning.

ALL previous immigrant populations took PRIDE in either their learning
English themselves or, at the very least, making sure that their
children spoke English. It is only now, when we have this massive
influx of Spanish speaking people, that that pride and motivation is absent.

BTW, do you know who is hurt most by not forcing them to learn English?
It is those people who don't learn English. They are trapped in their
Spanish speaking ghetto and their opportunities for the American dream
are severely hampered. That is why I am totally against bi-lingual
education. All classes should ONLY be in English. There should also be
remedial classes to help those who cannot speak English to learn English.

If an American wants to go to study for a year in Israel, do you know
what they have to do? They first have to go for a summer session in
order to learn Hebrew. We should follow that lead.

Anonymous@nowhere.com

On 8/24/2011 8:22 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:09 am, anonymous<anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> On 8/24/2011 8:04 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>>
>>> You can't fight city hall...
>>> You can't stop the clock...
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/24/pennsylvania.cheeses...
>>
>>> I wonder in what language will Jesus greet him?
>>
>>> -Ramon
>>
>> One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
>> language. I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
>> official language of the US. I would have other languages up only in
>> areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
>> speaking visitors. All legal documents should only be in English.
>>
>> If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
>> English, I would try to learn that language. If you live in the US, you
>> should learn English.
>

> Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
> is:
>
> English vs. Spanish.
>
> Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:
>
> English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)
>
> vs.
>
> English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
> business!).
>
> English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
> US but in the world.
>
> The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.
>
> -Ramon The Poliglot

I thoroughly resent it when I am on a telephone voice menu and it says
"For English press 1; for Spanish press 2". I don't mind as much when
there is just statement in Spanish to press 8 for Spanish. For the
first case, if it is a business that I can find my product elsewhere, I
go elsewhere. If I must get through to that business/organization, I
simply do not press anything. Yes, it takes longer, but it is my form
of protest.

Fact is, I know a little Spanish -- enough to have a very hard time
getting by in a Spanish speaking country. When I go there, I try to use
Spanish. It is common courtesy -- and that is as a visitor. If someone
comes to the US then, damn it, learn English. I would learn their
language if I moved to their country.

skm1942

On Aug 24, 5:22 am, Ramon F Herrera <gopos...@jonjay.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 7:09 am, anonymous <anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

> > On 8/24/2011 8:04 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>
> > > You can't fight city hall...
> > > You can't stop the clock...
>
> > >http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/08/24/pennsylvania.cheeses...
>
> > > I wonder in what language will Jesus greet him?
>
> > > -Ramon
>
> > One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
> > language.  I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
> > official language of the US.  I would have other languages up only in
> > areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
> > speaking visitors.  All legal documents should only be in English.
>
> > If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
> > English, I would try to learn that language.  If you live in the US, you
> > should learn English.
>
> Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
> is:
>
>  English vs. Spanish.
>
> Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:
>
>  English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)
>
> vs.
>
> English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
> business!).
>
> English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
> US but in the world.
>
> The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.
>
> -Ramon The Poliglot- Hide quoted text -

Wrong! There will never be an English "only" law and no one is
advocating for that. However, English is a part of our nation's
heritage and has been our de facto national language. It should
takes its rightful place as our official one.

Ramon F Herrera

On Aug 24, 8:14 am, anonymous <anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 8:22 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> >> One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
> >> language.  I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
> >> official language of the US.  I would have other languages up only in
> >> areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
> >> speaking visitors.  All legal documents should only be in English.
>
> >> If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
> >> English, I would try to learn that language.  If you live in the US, you
> >> should learn English.
>
> > Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
> > is:
>
> >   English vs. Spanish.
>
> > Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:
>
> >   English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)
>
> > vs.
>
> > English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
> > business!).
>
> > English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
> > US but in the world.
>
> > The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.
>
> > -Ramon The Poliglot
>
> I thoroughly resent it when I am on a telephone voice menu and it says
> "For English press 1; for Spanish press 2".  I don't mind as much when
> there is just statement in Spanish to press 8 for Spanish.  For the
> first case, if it is a business that I can find my product elsewhere, I
> go elsewhere.  If I must get through to that business/organization, I
> simply do not press anything.  Yes, it takes longer, but it is my form
> of protest.
>

> Fact is, I know a little Spanish -- enough to have a very hard time
> getting by in a Spanish speaking country.  When I go there, I try to use
> Spanish.  It is common courtesy -- and that is as a visitor.  If someone
> comes to the US then, damn it, learn English.  I would learn their
> language if I moved to their country.

As luck would have it, yours truly used to make a living programming
those telephone system. They are called IVR (Interactive Voice
Response) and I must tell you that the default is English. A good
programmer will never have you press anything additional for English.

OTOH, if you have to press "1" for Spanish and "2" for English (actual
case, AT&T, the number 1-800-828-4652 was posted in API) I am sure you
are a big boy and will survive the infamy.

We have a saying in Spanish, when somebody complains about the rain:
"What is the matter, are you made of sugar?"

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

On Aug 24, 8:19 am, skm1...@msn.com wrote:
> On Aug 24, 5:22 am, Ramon F Herrera <gopos...@jonjay.com> wrote:

> > > One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
> > > language.  I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
> > > official language of the US.  I would have other languages up only in
> > > areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
> > > speaking visitors.  All legal documents should only be in English.
>
> > > If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
> > > English, I would try to learn that language.  If you live in the US, you
> > > should learn English.
>
> > Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
> > is:
>
> >  English vs. Spanish.
>
> > Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:
>
> >  English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)
>
> > vs.
>
> > English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
> > business!).
>
> > English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
> > US but in the world.
>
> > The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.
>
> > -Ramon The Poliglot- Hide quoted text -

> However, English is a part of our nation's heritage
> and has been our de facto national language.

Couldn't agree more.

Furthermore, English is the dominant language worldwide, the Esperanto
if you will.

During the Cold War if a Chinese pilot approached a Moscow airport (or
a Russian pilot a Peking airport), guess what language they used?

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

On Aug 24, 8:02 am, anonymous <anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/2011 8:24 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> >> One of the strengths (among many) of this country is having a single
> >> language.  I would vote in a heartbeat for a law that made English the
> >> official language of the US.  I would have other languages up only in
> >> areas like airports and places like that where we have foreign language
> >> speaking visitors.  All legal documents should only be in English.
>
> >> If I were to move to a different country where the language was not
> >> English, I would try to learn that language.  If you live in the US, you
> >> should learn English.
>
> > The City of Cambridge offers classes of English. I called on behalf of
> > a brother who wants to emigrate (no papers, no diploma) and was told
> > that the waiting list was TWO YEARS.
>
> > -Ramon
>
> So?  Yes, there should be more classes.  However:
>

> 1 - Does he not have a TV?
> 2 - Does he not have a computer?  There are courses online.
> 3 - What about a dvd player?  There are many dvds available for learning
> English.
> 4 - What, about, gee, that old fashioned thing called "books"?
> 5 - What about Boston?  Somerville?  Arlington? Newton?  Waltham?
> Saugus? Brookline?
> 6 - Are there no people he knows who know English with who he can practice?

Ricardo Alonso -my bro- was crashing in my couch in Cambridge, and
having marital problems ("I will join you in the US IF you have a job"
said Maria Teresa). He is actually good at languages, after a few
drinks he speaks Italian to his wife's relatives and Portuguese to our
hosts in the Woburn's Portuguese-American Club. His first job was
motorcycle courier for the local baseball team (Cardenales de Lara)
and he interacted reasonably well with "los importados" (US baseball
players who go south to the so-called Winter League).

What makes you believe that the 2-3 year list is different in the
other cities? All over the US Hispanic newcomers are rushing to learn
English.

-Ramon

Anonymous@nowhere.com

On 8/24/2011 9:55 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Aug 24, 8:14 am, anonymous<anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>> Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
>>> is:
>>
>>> English vs. Spanish.
>>
>>> Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:
>>
>>> English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)
>>
>>> vs.
>>
>>> English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
>>> business!).
>>
>>> English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
>>> US but in the world.
>>
>>> The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.
>>
>>> -Ramon The Poliglot
>>
>> I thoroughly resent it when I am on a telephone voice menu and it says
>> "For English press 1; for Spanish press 2". I don't mind as much when
>> there is just statement in Spanish to press 8 for Spanish. For the
>> first case, if it is a business that I can find my product elsewhere, I
>> go elsewhere. If I must get through to that business/organization, I
>> simply do not press anything. Yes, it takes longer, but it is my form
>> of protest.
>>

>> Fact is, I know a little Spanish -- enough to have a very hard time
>> getting by in a Spanish speaking country. When I go there, I try to use
>> Spanish. It is common courtesy -- and that is as a visitor. If someone
>> comes to the US then, damn it, learn English. I would learn their
>> language if I moved to their country.
>
> As luck would have it, yours truly used to make a living programming
> those telephone system. They are called IVR (Interactive Voice
> Response) and I must tell you that the default is English. A good
> programmer will never have you press anything additional for English.

I _KNOW_ the default is English. That is why I simply don't press a
button. I have to wait for the message to repeat itself two or three
times, but that is a small price to pay for my protest. Yes, I agree
that a good programmer should have force you to press anything for
English. Who says they are good programmers?

> OTOH, if you have to press "1" for Spanish and "2" for English (actual
> case, AT&T, the number 1-800-828-4652 was posted in API) I am sure you
> are a big boy and will survive the infamy.

Of course I survive -- AND if it is a business, I take my business
elsewhere.

> We have a saying in Spanish, when somebody complains about the rain:
> "What is the matter, are you made of sugar?"

Have you never heard of "principles"?

Anonymous@nowhere.com

On 8/24/2011 10:00 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Aug 24, 8:19 am, skm1...@msn.com wrote:

>>> Many folks (like you) are confused. They think that the confrontation
>>> is:
>>
>>> English vs. Spanish.
>>
>>> Well, it is NOT. The confrontation is:
>>
>>> English ONLY (supported by baggers and their ilk)
>>
>>> vs.
>>
>>> English AND the First Amendments AND business rules (viva el
>>> business!).
>>
>>> English is and will forever be the dominant language, not only in the
>>> US but in the world.
>>
>>> The only linguistically challenged are the native-born.
>>
>>> -Ramon The Poliglot- Hide quoted text -

> > However, English is a part of our nation's heritage
> > and has been our de facto national language.
>
> Couldn't agree more.
>
> Furthermore, English is the dominant language worldwide, the Esperanto
> if you will.
>
> During the Cold War if a Chinese pilot approached a Moscow airport (or
> a Russian pilot a Peking airport), guess what language they used?
>
> -Ramon

When a Japanese pilot comes into a Japanese airport he speaks to the air
traffic controller in English.

Anonymous@nowhere.com

On 8/24/2011 10:29 AM, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> On Aug 24, 8:02 am, anonymous<anonym...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>> The City of Cambridge offers classes of English. I called on behalf of
>>> a brother who wants to emigrate (no papers, no diploma) and was told
>>> that the waiting list was TWO YEARS.
>>
>>> -Ramon
>>
>> So? Yes, there should be more classes. However:
>>

>> 1 - Does he not have a TV?
>> 2 - Does he not have a computer? There are courses online.
>> 3 - What about a dvd player? There are many dvds available for learning
>> English.
>> 4 - What, about, gee, that old fashioned thing called "books"?
>> 5 - What about Boston? Somerville? Arlington? Newton? Waltham?
>> Saugus? Brookline?
>> 6 - Are there no people he knows who know English with who he can practice?
>

> Ricardo Alonso -my bro- was crashing in my couch in Cambridge, and
> having marital problems ("I will join you in the US IF you have a job"
> said Maria Teresa). He is actually good at languages, after a few
> drinks he speaks Italian to his wife's relatives and Portuguese to our
> hosts in the Woburn's Portuguese-American Club. His first job was
> motorcycle courier for the local baseball team (Cardenales de Lara)
> and he interacted reasonably well with "los importados" (US baseball
> players who go south to the so-called Winter League).

Then what I said should apply even more to him. That two year wait was
not even necessary since he has a facility for languages.

> What makes you believe that the 2-3 year list is different in the
> other cities? All over the US Hispanic newcomers are rushing to learn
> English.

Where there is a will there is a way. Surely one of them had openings.