Re: Capturing Signatures in Compact Devices...

Ivo Salmre [MS]

3/14/2002 9:29:00 PM

Hi there,

Correct. The .NET Compact Framework will not support ActiveX controls in
forms. The reason for this for size/performance requirements for running on
devices.

A word on accessing headless COM objects: Threads in the .NET CF running on
Windows CE are "COM aware", in that they call CoInitialize() on thread
start-up and CoUninitialize() on thread shut down, so that if you call into
native code that accesses COM objects this will work fine. As noted above,
this does not imply that "embeddable" COM objects (ActiveX Controls) can be
hosted in forms (This would require the forms themselves to support a host
of COM interfaces).

So there are two ways of getting to the kind of functionality you refer to
below:
1. Create a native wrapper that interfaces with the headless COM objects
you need to use.
2. Use a .NET CF targeted 3rd party control that offers the
functionality you want. (We are working with 3rd party component developers
to get them building C# and VB.NET build components).

thanks, Ivo Salmre

<davecorun@excite.com>
> wrote:
> >Thank you so much. ;)
> >
> >This is a very helpful article on writing it yourself.
> >http://www.devbuzz.com/content/zinc_evb_signature_captu...
> >

> >Also I found here is a company that sells a control that writes out a BMP
> >file of the signature.
> >
> >http://www.handdata.com/HDProducts/HDSignature/Signatu...
> >

> >All very interesting.
> >
> >// Dave
> >
> >"Chris Tacke, eMVP" <ctacke@applieddata.net> wrote in message
> >There is a good article starting point at www.devbuzz.com for Signature
> >capture, but it doesn't cover .NET.
> >
> >-Chris
> >

> >"Dave Corun" <davecorun@excite.com> wrote in message
> >> I really want to be able to capture signatures in portable devices...
just